What's new

WTB: S15 Diff Wanted

brillo

Reaction score
Country
Looking for a Standard diff for my S15, I think my diff has been welded but can't be sure, is there a way of checking without taking the cover off ?, im assuming its welded as you get a slight scuffing from the rear tyres when moving slowly on lock.

Please let me know if anyone has a std one for sale

Thanks for taking the time

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
If it's welded, it'll bounce the inside wheel on corners plus it'll understeer a lot when you accelerate (until you oversteer like on roundabouts in the wet). You'll hear screeching all the time in car parks too.

You might just have a really desirable diff? An easy way to check would be get both wheels off the ground and turn one at a time. If the other turns the opposite way then you have the helical diff, if it spins the same way then it's welded or a clutch diff. From driving, you should know if it's a welded diff or not as it won't slip at all. They're hard to ignore. Clutch diffs tend to allow some slip and don't understeer as much.

Anyway, I want a clutch diff. I really fancy a 1.5 way. If I manage to get that sort that out I'll give you a shout as the helical diff is much less suited to sliding and more suited to lap time and normal driving.

brillo

Reaction score
Country
Thanks for your reply and the tip, I will try jacking it up and see which way the other rear wheel turns, I appreciate you optimism with regard to it being a desirable diff, but knowing my luck I doubt it, it does seem to scuff a bit when turning or parking in tight spaces, will let you know result of the experiment

Many thanks for your reply

Best Regards

Marc

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
Scuffing a bit suggests it's not a welded diff tbh. They scuff loads. Literally 100% fixed whereas the cusco's (known for sounding broken and embarrassing in car parks) are about 80% locked according to something I read elsewhere while eyeing up the choices of diffs I'm after... Seems I'd really likea nismo diff of any sort! Not cheap sadly.

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
I have a Nismo 2 way from a GTR and it skips at low speeds. Being an S15 it won't be welded as most people with 15's aren't cheap skates!

Reaction score
Country
I've got a Cusco 1.5 way in mine. Not really pushed the car hard round corners to really feel what it's like yet!

brillo

Reaction score
Country
I've tried Sibbers suggestion and with both rear wheels off the ground and the gearbox in neutral, both the rear wheels rotate in the same direction when you rotate one wheel by hand, if you let one rear wheel back on the ground (does not matter which one) and rotate the wheel that's still on the ground then the prop shaft rotates.

from comments do far, I would have thought that if diff was welded then with one wheel on the ground the other wheel would be fixed also, or am I not getting the principle correct.

Thanks for all the helpful posts

sibbers

Reaction score
Country
With it jacked up, in gear, if it's a clutch diff it will be really hard to get the other wheel to turn. With a welded diff it will be impossible. But I really think S15 Sam is right... you would just know if it was welded, as it would understeer really badly and be pretty much impossible to go round mini roundabouts in the wet without drifting. Clutch diffs do clonk a bit, and understeer a bit but it's not hell on earth and mums won't try and protect their children from your car whenever you do tight corners.

Clutch and Welded diffs are really similar in with one human hand power providing all the torque, but to drive they're pretty different. I really want a clutch diff but there's no way on earth I'll ever have another welded diff again.

EDIT - found a good thread on SXOC that might help: http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?542818-S15-Hellical-diff-owners-Quick-one