What's new

Small front plate & tinted headlights?

Mycool

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@S15_wot
helloo ppl, recently ive had my headlights tinted... Obviously depending on the amount of light which they let out would be whether they are classed of legal or illegal id have thought... Now iffff i was to come across a real assy copper, could he actually issue me points for this?/ fine?/ or just a notice to take the tints off? Also my front number plate is pretty small, near enough the size of a bike plate (slightly bigger). Now i know this will deffo cause me problems with an assy copper if he stopped me - but again could he actually give me points for this? Looking to get a square plate on the car after japfest anyway, just curious as everytime i see a copper driving i always think there about to stop me lol..... Will upload a pic of the front of my car in a min Cheers :)

[/URL][/IMG]

Last edited:
Reaction score
I've ran no plates on a few cars and never had any problems !

Just down to the pig at the end of the day

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

als_jordan

Staff member
Reaction score
I would say that the number plate is too small and they can issue you a penalty notice for it. (fine). These guys do legal small plates for imports. https://www.craigsplates.com/import-number-plates

With the tints - if it passes an mot I would think it would be fine. However there is a safety factor too, considering your headlights are so you can see where you are going and be seen.

Japfest they do have the local police doing spot checks especially for number plates. FYI.

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@kwalker88
I've previously been pulled for both tinted headlights and too small a plate.

Got given £30 fine for the plate and told to remove the tint on the headlights....to be fair, visibility was reduced.

Jaydej

Reaction score
Country
If you want a smaller plate get a standard one made up with a smaller space then trim the edges, that's what I did

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@liamb91
Heres the basics for sizing :cool:

Characters must be 79mm tall
Characters (except the number 1 or letter I) must be50mm wide
The character stroke (the thickness of the black print)must be 14mm
The space between characters must be 11mm
The space between the age identifier and the randomletters must be 33mm
The margins at the top, bottom and side of the platemust be 11mm
Vertical space between the age identifier and therandom numbers must be 19mm

See the PDF here
https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/359317/INF104_160914.pdf

Got my legal one made, even has the stamps :p

Smoked 14 by LiamB91, on Flickr

Cess

Staff member
Instagram Staff
Reaction score
Country
I'd chance the small plate tbh. It really is down to what mood the police are on the day. You might get stopped, they might not bother.

tooley

When only sideways will do!
Reaction score
Country
I got pulled on saturday and the copper said its £100 fine but let me off and mine was on my sun visor.

The law itself is open to interpretation for location, if you read the actual bill on the .gov website. However size is stated and must be met.