What's new

Text Speak

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
This is an international forum. There are members here from non english speaking backgrounds that find it more difficult to read proper english than their primary language. Once people start using text speak, it becomes increasingly difficult for not just the non english speaking people to understand the posts. We are not trying to be a dictatorship, but once it starts, you can't stop it.

Regardless of the reasons, it is in the forum rules. These are a condition of use of the forums. Text speak is not acceptable on the forums. Like anyone else (myself included), if you don't adhere to the forum rules your post will be deleted and you will be punished. If you do it enough, you will receive a permanent hoilday from S15OC.

I have given enough warnings in the past about this. My suggestion is that if you can't use proper english or follow the forum rules for that mater, then go somewhere else.

U

udi

I can appreciate the point you're trying to make, but seriously I think making a big deal of it in an english-speaking club thread (QLD) is just going too far. I've read some of your posts jumping on people in there and personally I think it's a bit over the top. I think this forum is better than the alternatives because it's friendly and isn't full of d**kheads (not because of superior spelling and grammar in posts) and I think jumping on every single post is ruining the "friendly" part of things.

I understand rules are rules, but just a suggestion for you personally, make what you will of it. :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
text speak is a pain, totally unneccessary. if i see text speak i generally ignore it or ask the person to type it again in english. it doesnt take longer to write things in a way that can be understood, this is a forum where all comms is done through reading and i dont want to read that crap :)

my first post was just a joke, text speak is for text messages, it has no place on forums and 9/10 sites wont have any of it..............

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I can appreciate the point you're trying to make, but seriously I think making a big deal of it in an english-speaking club thread (QLD) is just going too far. I've read some of your posts jumping on people in there and personally I think it's a bit over the top. I think this forum is better than the alternatives because it's friendly and isn't full of d**kheads (not because of superior spelling and grammar in posts) and I think jumping on every single post is ruining the "friendly" part of things.

I understand rules are rules, but just a suggestion for you personally, make what you will of it. :)
They are the rules and it applies to everybody in every section of the forum without exception. We don't just 'jump' on people, everyone is warned in a confidential and polite manner prior to action being taken, but this is the bit you don't see on the threads which may be why you see our action as being a little harsh at times.

Luckily, this forum is small and exclusive enough to keep on top of matters like this and this is the way it is going to stay. Some members of this forum have been using it for many years without a problem so I certainly don't see why it should become one now. As Meddler stated in his post above, any further occurrences of this nature will be dealt with accordingly.

U

udi

Fair enough. I just think it detracts more from reading a forum thread to read grammar-nazi posts/edits every time it happens than to just see it happening. Perhaps private messaging (and failing that, bans) would be better on the place as a whole if it's that critical an issue.

Reaction score
I'm sure the guys are talking more about the extreme cases were it's very hard to read text speak post in a smooth easy manner. If someone wants to finish of their post with have a gr8 day its not going to detract from the rest the posting

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Fair enough. I just think it detracts more from reading a forum thread to read grammar-nazi posts/edits every time it happens than to just see it happening. Perhaps private messaging (and failing that, bans) would be better on the place as a whole if it's that critical an issue.
udi,

I understand where you are coming from. If it is a one off it is not a problem. It's when it becomes common that I have an issue with it. Before you know it, you won't be able to read half the posts on the forums. People are duly warned before action is taken. The person that has been spoken to has been warned on a few occasions. I am not going to tell everyone on the forums that I have done this. What you are seeing in this case is the end of the process. This thread is a reminder to everyone else that text speak is not accepted here. End of story.

I am pretty easy going, but I will deal with people that have been warned and continue to ignore the request and the rules for that matter.

You are supposed to read and understand the forum rules when you join this forum. It is a condition of being on here, so I shouldn't have to tell anyone what the rules are. It is a private forum and ultimately the last say goes to the owner of the board. Interestingly enough, Nicely was the one who made this rule.

If you have an issue with the rules, fine, let us know and we will discuss it. But remember this, Admins and mods have to job of keeping the forums going and free from spam and unwanted behaviour. We will continue to do so.

This thread wasn't actually meant to be left open for comment, but I will leave it open while the discussion is constructive.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Exactly right. I hate txt spk on phones, but I find it totally unacceptable when it's used in conjuction with a 104 key keyboard. And I'm typing this on my phone...

U

udi

udi,

I understand where you are coming from. If it is a one off it is not a problem. It's when it becomes common that I have an issue with it.
Fair enough mate, keep at it - I know where you're coming from and have no problem with the rule personally. Just thought I'd share my view as I think this is a very nice forum and would love it to stay that way. :)