What's new

Uh oh... diagnosis required please fella's

J

Jono

http://s5.photobucket.com/albums/y168/Jonowatts/?action=view&current=UhohS15Steam.flv

Right-o, so I arrived at work this morning after a fairly uneventful 15min blat to work only to see steam pouring out from the around the bonnet when I parked up.

I opened the bonnet to take a look and the obvious (radiator) did not seem to be the issue - the steam is coming from the turbo department! And there's now a nice puddle of what I guess is water sitting directly underneath.

See above video, hopefully one of you might be able to diagnose the fault from seeing this? and offer some advice or solution?

You'll see the steam comes in 'waves' - the video has no sound but you can here the hissing and spitting of steam escaping on a cycle.

PLEASE HELP, DOCTORS OF THE S15! :cry:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Cracked turbo water feed, I'm afraid. Common as feck. From your post about noise yesterday, I'd say your turbo gasket has gone too :(

I'd recommend fitting braided oil and water feed hoses at the same time you get the gaskets done.

That's without being able to see your streamed vid either...

K

kieran

everything nicley said, dont bother putting original pipes back on i did they lasted very little time at all :cry: never had a problem with braided lines thought :thumbs:

K

kieran

forgot to say too, they can be changed without taking the turbo off you just need midget hands, aspestos fingers and the ability to swear, throw tools and generally get the arse alot :thumbs:

J

Jono

OK, well at least you've confirmed what I suspected. I'm hoping this won't have damaged the turbo?

Anyway - Nicely, I suspect you're right about the gasket too, I'd had a feeling it could be this as the noise accompanied the boost gauge as it moved up and down so it makes sense.

Right then, who's gonna tell me (to save me hours of research) what gasket I need to order from Nissan (assuming it's best to get it from them) and where I order the braided oil and water lines from?

Then all I've got to worry about is who I can get to fit them all!

Also, while I've got the turbo off - is there anything else I could be doing? HKS actuator?

Sorry for all the questions folks but thanks so much for all your replies :notworthy:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
If you like I can get you water and oil lines from Airtune and send them to you?
they're about ?97 + freight.

I would get som locking nuts aswell as new locking tabs for the turbo to manifold studs.
The stock ones tends to rattle loose and blow gaskets.

J

Jono

Cheers Yakozan, but I think by the time I've paid freight I could get the same kinda price in the UK from Apex (hopefully). :wave:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Jono said:
Cheers Yakozan, but I think by the time I've paid freight I could get the same kinda price in the UK from Apex (hopefully). :wave:
Thats true.
saw a new company on the SXOC called hose solutions. They might be even cheaper :thumbs:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Not so good mate, braided lines are something i'm hoping to do, but gonna wait till i have a mani to fit, then do then all in a oner :thumbs:

Hope you get it fixed easy enough :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I'll get you the gasket kit part number this evening. You'll want a couple of locking tabs too. Whilst its all off, you'd be stupid not to replace the manifold gasket too. All that's going to set you back about ?120-1-130 from a UK dealer (possibly a bit more, as I get discount).

Things to consider at the same time:

turbo elbow (dump pipe)
stainless mani
front pipe

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Heard a few problems recently with regard to SS mani's, do they offer any great advantage over stock when weighed up with the cracking issues?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
More free flowing, better torque. Standard mani can crack too... I would hazard a guess that the cracking is related to unsupported front pipes. Without a front pipe bracket, the mani takes the strain of the turbo, elbow, front pipe and the entire exhaust... I'm always surprised that no-one queries this when there's a thread about cracked manis. The standard bracket won't go over a 3 inch front pipe, but most of the cheaper front pipes don't come with a replacement...

J

Jono

Where can I get:

Hoses
HKS Actuator
Front-pipe/Elbow (Creasey doesn't have these at present - as I understand it).

???

Not sure I can actually afford all that stuff but would be good to weigh it up. If gaskets cost me ?130, and the hoses cost me ?100 then realistically I reckon that's all I can stretch to.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
You dont need the actuator, or the front pipe & elbow, they are just things to consider while you were poking about in that area :nod:

Just the gaskets and Braided lines will do you :nod:

As for buying them, speak to Apex, sure they can get some.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The manifold gasket is reusable if not to knackered. Just give it a clean and reuse it.
I use my old gasket and everything is fine. Other people in Sweden used the old one several times and no problems.

I wouldn't change that gasket unless it's broken.
That will probobly save you about ?50 :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The manifold gasket probably hasn't been changed since new. For the sake of ?50-60 (this is a major gasket) I would STRONGLY recommend you change it. Far better to spend ?60 now than have it fail (and they DO fail) soon after and need to spend another ?150+ on labour to do the job again just to replace it.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
If you are having a garage do the job then you can change the gasket.
If you're doing it yourself I wouldn't bother :) but that's maybe just me.
I thought changing the manifold to turbo gasket was fun :)