What's new

Another Scottish Noobie

Reaction score
Country
Hi there everyone, I'm Alex from Stirling in Scotland.

I'm currently in working with Mike from Torque GT to import a spec R with a aero kit in any colour really. As this will be my first experience of both rear wheel drive and turbo's I'm hoping you guys can share your knowledge and expertise with me when I get stuck.

I've been lurking around on here for a while reading the useful links and stuff so I don't get a row for asking previously answered questions. When I was reading these I read that you have the choice of either the Ball bearing turbo or the Hid lights as they only did the gt28bb up to half way through 2000 and that's when they introduced the bi-xenons. This was then discussed with some people saying you could get both as the Hid's were an optional extra straight from production. Anyway this has confused me so if someone could shed some light on the matter I'd be greatful.

I realise this is quite heavy going for a first post but I'd appreciate the help.

Reaction score
Country
Welcome, i have no idea on your question but i know mine has both and is pre 2000,
out of interest how much is importing one with torque going to cost you?
have you considered importing one through Japanese used cars? seems very cheap to do it that way?

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Hi there :) Afraid im not able to help with the question either. I imagine one of the 'lifers' might pop up with a more informed answer.

Bought mine from Torque too, very happy with all the service from Mike and the gang :)

Reaction score
Country
I'm not to sure on the price yet I suppose it depends on what one I go for in the end but I imagine it will be between 9 and 10k. Seams like a lot but there part exchanging my swift sport against it which I've had trouble selling. I've never considered anyone but torque, even though it's about 8 hours away, I've had a few friends use them to bring in Integra's and GT-fours etc, and they've had nothing but good things to say about them.
I just had a look at Japanese used cars and they do seam cheap but I don't know if you had to do all the importing work yourself or not?
You seam to have answered my question that you can get both just need to hunt for them. I'm more interested in the hid's to be honest as I imagine the turbo can be replaced easily enough.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Welcome :wave:

Yep BB turbos were only installed on the earlier Spec-R's... I can't remember dates and exact details :wack:

Glad you're getting yours from Torque :thumbs: Mike is a great guy and that's where I got my S15 from even though it was a 400 odd mile round trip for me!!

Reaction score
Country
Are the BB turbo's that great compared to the normal ones? I understand they spool faster but are they otherwise the same?
I wish it was only a 400 mile trip for me :( its close to 1000 miles, but I'm sure it'll be worth it. I'm sure I read one of the guys on here from Aberdeen went down to torque, now thats a trek!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'm not sure if you'll ever notice much of a difference TBH but others on here may disagree??

Yeah 1000 miles is the same as me going to Nurburgring and back (in terms of road mileage excluding the Channel crossing lol) :) It'll be worth the effort and petrol money in the end. You can't go wrong with Torque GT :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
After a couple of months of searching, mike has came through and found me a black spec R. I've paid the deposit so it seams I'll be joining your ranks in about a month. I can't wait!

Reaction score
Country
Welcome mate.Dont see many black ones on here. great guy Mike got mine from him what sort of spec has it got. and any plans for it pics would be nice

Reaction score
Country
Looks nice that, didnt go for a fresh import then? also where are you getting this one from as it looks a lot like one local to me

Reaction score
Country
No, mike said he got this one traded in and me, seing it was black, practically look his arm off for it. It's from torque gt based in buckfastleigh in Devon, so that's the next county to you, not to far away.

Last edited: