What's new

Anyone recommends a good ECU?

S

sxcAy

Hey I have a N/A S15 2000 model and I want to buy an ECU that will work on sr20det as well because I am going to be doing an engine conversion I am willing to spend $2000 any recommend ECU or brands that are good?

Reaction score
Nistune, but it will have to be remapped when you go DET...Apexi Power FC might be a better option but to be honest I wouldn't worry about upgrading the ECU for the N/A as there are only a few tuning options you would use, mainly AFR's. I would save your money and wait till you do the DET conversion..

Reaction score
Country
If you want a truly proper ECU you will have to look at the likes of Link G4 ECU or Haltech.
They come with TONS of options and should work on all engines.

But as said, any ecu needs remapping after changing engines.

I'm running a Link G4 myself on my RB25DET S15. Got 2 map settings on them which i can switch from with the press of a button.

Here is a quote from a different forum by the company who did my car:

There are a lot of differences between all available ECU's on the market today. The most used ECU's for Skyline's are Nistune, Power FC, F Con V Pro, Link ECU and Haltech. Different ECU types are used for different setups and prices. In the end all the ECU's will do the same job, control the engine.

To sum up the differences here is a small list to see where the differences are:
* Nistune board
- Estimated price for board, fitting and mapping 700-1000 euro
- Consists of a circuit board that will be fitted to the OEM ecu to be able to reprogram the full content of the stock ECU
- Restrictions = Have to use airflow meter, have to use all stock sensor and wiring, not advised when using big injectors (700cc+)
- General advise = Perfect for all people who drive stage 1 bolt on parts or simple upgrades (till arund 600-700hp)

* Apexi Power FC
Estimated price for ECU, fitting and mapping 1400-1700 euro
- Complete standalone ECU
- Plug-in ecu that replaces the stock ECU
- Restrictions = Have to use airflow meter, have to use all stock sensor and wiring, not a lot of extra funtions, corrections and safety possible. No corrections for knock, no GOOD boost control, small fuel and ignition map.
- General advise = Perfect for all people who drive stage 1 bolt on parts or simple upgrades (with airflow meters)
- Apexi Power FC also has a MAP sensor verson, this is really not advisable to use as it does not hae any throttle compensation map which is needed for the RB26 engines.

* Link ECU
Estimated price for ECU, fitting, sensors and mapping 1900-2300 euro
- Restrictions = NON
- General advise = Perfect for all people who need a good ECU to control all engine sensors and parts. The Link ECU is one of the top of the range ECU's and is able to do anything needed. Link ECU has knock control, large ignition and fuel maps, 5d fuel and ignition mapping, test function to check sensors and parts, full 3d closed loop boost control, endless safety settings to keep the engine in perfect and safe running conditions. This is the only ECU you will ever need to buy.

* Haltech ECU
Estimated price for ECU, fitting, sensors and mapping 2800-3200 euro
- Restrictions = no test functions for sensors, not able to test individual sensors and parts for diagnose
- General advise = Perfect for all people who need a good ECU to control all engine sensors and parts. The Haltech ECU is one of the top of the range ECU's and is able to do almost anything needed. Haltech ECU has knock control, large ignition and fuel maps, 5d fuel and ignition mapping and some safety settings to keep the engine in perfect and safe running conditions. Same functions as the link ecu but only a lot lower price.

It is always difficult to say what ECU will be the best to use. Not only the ECU, but mainly the installer and tuner (mapper) will make the end result. You can see that the Link ECU and Power FC are a very popular ecu in the Skyline scene. Only a good combination of a engine setup, ECU and mapping will get the best of every setup.
Topic http://www.skylineclub.nl/showthread.php?11982-Power-FC-vs-Haltech-(of-andere-nieuwe-ECU)/page8
Mostly in dutch but some of the good information posts are in english ;)

Reaction score
Country
I'd use whatever the good tuners in your area use. Check out a few local places for yourself, and see what they have to say.

Reaction score
Speak to your local mappers and see what they can do. A friend of mine with an evo8 followed the mlr crowd and it's cost him 2 ecus and hundreds of miles going back and forth to the most local mapper (180 miles away) who still cocked it up

Reaction score
There are a lot of good tuners in Australia for SR's, we received them for 8 years as a local import. It depends on your location as who to use..