What's new

Braided Turbo Lines - Restrictor?

CMR

Reaction score
Country
Spent awhile browsing various forums regarding this including here and SXOC, but does anyone have a definite answer?

When people are purchasing Braided lines are you purchasing standard ones with no restrictor in the hose or with one?

I understand that the T28R has a restrictor in the housing itself, but many people are advising to run an additional one in the hose as the SR20 has a higher oil pressure than Garrett recommend for the ball bearing turbo's.

Reaction score
Country
if you are running a T28 in the standard postion and boosting a road car I personally not give a toss as its not worth worrying about, until you get up into high end setups where you require instant boost response or your turbo is mounted upsidedown and around the corner, and the turbos life is not the most crucial thing, i would rather have max oil pressure and cooling, and i have never heard of anyone killing their turbos due to over oiling and besides you will have to clean it every oil change otherwise a bit of engine poo might get stuck in the hole, and your precise pressure is no longer precise.

If the turbo requires a restriction to regulate oil pressure then it will most likely have one built in it, ensuring that you are using a very high quality supply line is more crucial

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
my turbo only has like a 1-1.5mm hole in the banjo bolt. so that is the restrictor on my braided lines.

CMR

Reaction score
Country
if you are running a T28 in the standard postion and boosting a road car I personally not give a toss as its not worth worrying about, until you get up into high end setups where you require instant boost response or your turbo is mounted upsidedown and around the corner, and the turbos life is not the most crucial thing, i would rather have max oil pressure and cooling, and i have never heard of anyone killing their turbos due to over oiling and besides you will have to clean it every oil change otherwise a bit of engine poo might get stuck in the hole, and your precise pressure is no longer precise.

If the turbo requires a restriction to regulate oil pressure then it will most likely have one built in it, ensuring that you are using a very high quality supply line is more crucial
A ball bearing turbo like the GT28R or GT2871r etc needs water alot more for cooling than oil, so oil pressure higher than what Garrett state the Ball bearing core is rated for isn't going to be doing anything for the seals. A Journal turbo needs Oil for cooling I agree.

I'm unsure if the NZ spec'ed S15's came with the GT28R or just the T28, or even which you have fitted.

I'm guessing there are alot more people on here with braided turbo lines.. did you use a restrictor?

This is what I'm talking about by the way:

http://www.atpturbo.com/mm5/merchant.mvc?Screen=PROD&Product_Code=ATP-OIL-021&Category_Code=GTBB

Reaction score
Country
i have the T28BB standard at the mo, ive looked into this and from what ive been told and have researched its a case of cheap turbos will need an external restrictor as they are cheap and poorly designed which is where you risk leaking seals, where as say turbonetics or garrett will either supply a restrictor with the turbo or have the char designed with one built in. And even then alot of people still dont use a restrictor and have no problems year in year out.

Reaction score
Country
Try running without one for a while. If after 500 miles or so you are finding oil in the ic pipes then look at fitting a restrictor. I run a gt2871r with no additional restrictor and it seems fine.

CMR

Reaction score
Country
Ok, thanks for the input.
I'll purchase some 'standard' braided lines and see how I get on.

Reaction score
Country
oil in your intercooler pipes is mosty caused by blowby, however if you have a catch can and you dont feed any vacuum pipes back into your intake, and then you get oil in the hotpipe, then year i would suspect turbo seals. but as chris mentioned hes running a slightly larger puff snail and not having any issues so dont stress about it