What's new

Brake warning lamp came on when i took the handbrake off.

Reaction score
Country
Brake warning lamp came & stays on today, handbrake & brakes work fine. I think it was when i took the handbrake off to drive away, I swear I heard a noise, is there a connector plugged into the lever somewhere? How do you get to it?

Thnx.

Reaction score
Country
There is a connector under the centre console what you'll need to remove to get access to. You should check your brake fluid level first as a low level causes the light to stay on.

Reaction score
Country
Loads of brake fluid in the reservoir. Is there any way the connector on the handbrake would fall off somehow? I have no idea what the setup looks like, I swear I heard a faint noise next to me (faint with a loud exhaust & radio on anyway) when I took the handbrake off though, that's the only reason im suspicious about the handbrake.

Reaction score
Country
Ok so I took the console off & I don't see anything wrong with the handbrake connector or anything. No problems with the brakes when driving at all, is there anything common that brings the brake warning lamp on apart from brake fluid?

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Its about 3/4 full, im still wondering about the handbrake, mechanically how does the car know the handbrake is on, maybe the sensor or whatever has slipped?

Reaction score
Country
There's a switch under the centre console that the hand brake lever pushes on which puts the light on/off

Reaction score
Country
This is what I see on my handbrake, is anything missing or broken?

I tried pressing the switch in myself all the way but the warning lamp didn't go off. I have no braking problems, fluid level is still high, handbrake works...normal running. This is the fluid level, its about 8/10 full.

?