What's new

Bumper Removal?

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys

I'm in the process of fitting my front mount intercooler and got a bit stumped on how to remove the bumper.
I have removed the standard intercooler piping, under tray and arch liners. I have removed the screws from each side and the 5 push clips on top.
Is that the lot? It still seems tight around the headlights but I haven't removed them yet. That said looking at some build threads it doesn't look like I should need to remove these.

Thanks in advance.

Mike

Reaction score
Country
There's one either side inside the arch liner which screws the bumper directly to the cars wing? Have you got that one? It's a complete t##t to get to and fit. It's like inch or so back from the end of the light? Sorry if you already have.

Might just be a little tight? Mine just seemed to pop out with a little encouragement.

Reaction score
Country
Think that could be it. I found one screw each side very near the arch. I'll take a look closer to the light.
Do I need to disconnect the fog lights before removal to?

Reaction score
Yes, there are two screws each side, one small screw just inside the guard and another one further in that is best got out with a 10mm socket and long extension arm. Just disconect the plugs from the back of the fog lights

Reaction score
Country
Cheers guys. Just going out to see what I can do thos afternoon. Got some new hoses from sfs arrive today. :)

Reaction score
Country
Found them. It was those 2 nearer the lights I hadn't spotted. The washer side was alright but with the wing mont fitted that side was a pain.
Got the core fitted. I'm pretty happ with the fitment. The bumper may need trimming though.

Had a bit of an accident when trying to put the hole in the battery tray. The drill bit jumped and I ended up denting the radiator and the drill bit. So I may be needing a new one. Upgrade that too I guess.

Slow steady progress.

Reaction score
Country
Kind of along the same lines but more refitting.
So I have my new FMIC fitted minus the recirc valve. The only thing is I can't seem to get the bumper back on. Now I thought it was just the fog light maybe. So before I started cutting away the fog light I removed it first to check that doing this would actually help. Annoyingly this won't picture attached for a visual aid.
IMG_0299.jpg
What can I do?

I don't really want to chop up my bumper too much.

Reaction score
Country
i no some people on here have said that when fitting an intercooler they've had to trim the bumper down a bit to make it fit right so mite well need to do that but were abouts i don't no

Reaction score
Country
Yeah it mentions it in the instructions too. But I'd need to trim down about 10mm and still couldn't fit the fog back on by my estimates.

I think I've got a plan though. The bottom bracket on the passenger side I reckon I can pull it in a few mm which should pull the pipework in a few more mm than that. I just don't know if it'll look square from the front.

Reaction score
Country
:eek: bloody hell 10mm is alot i see your worry, ive looked around but cant find the thread on here where someone fitted the same fmic as yours and had to trim it, though i don't no what bumper he was using, i no some people have actually used different pipes from the stock ones to work inline with there bumper, iam not the best on this ive never fitted a fmic but suppose you could try the idea you said, just be careful with the cold making the bumper more brittle when your playing with it

CMR

Reaction score
Country
Sounds like you haven't mounted the core far enough back. I had to modify the brackets they send you as the position they sit in means everything is too far forward.
My autobahn is fitted with no trimming now.

Reaction score
May I suggest loosening all the clamps off on the piping and silicon, turning the pipes to change the angle slightly and try fitting the bumper then.

Reaction score
Country
Sounds like you haven't mounted the core far enough back. I had to modify the brackets they send you as the position they sit in means everything is too far forward.
My autobahn is fitted with no trimming now.
I think I mounted it as per the instructions but without bending the brackets. Did you mount to the Headlight support brackets or use the s14 ones lower down?

May I suggest loosening all the clamps off on the piping and silicon, turning the pipes to change the angle slightly and try fitting the bumper then.
Interesting idea I might give that a go first.

It went on fine without the pipework so I know it's the piping casuing the issue.

Thanks for the suggestions guys.

Reaction score
Country
Just spent a couple of hours out on the car in the freezing cold. Gonna have to get a heater for the garage if I keep this up.
Made some progress though. I tried the pipework but that didn't make mush of a difference. I couldn't really move it much further back as the intercooler was fairly close to the bars that the horns are mounted on. 5mm maybe not really enough to make a huge differnce.
So I reluctantly removed the intercooler and lower pipework and re mounted it on the s14 brackets that are supplied. This lowered the core about an inch/inch and a half. The hope with doing this was that the pipework would be further away by the time it got to fog light height which it did. I roughly fitted the bumper and I thinkI can get this to work now.

I think its one of those things that they say mount to the headlight supports based on a bumper that didnt have the fog lights fitted.

Going to continue this tomorrow night.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Here's a video of what Mighty Car Mods did to their S15.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y-bcPNJzwtA

The intercooler part starts at about the 6 min mark. What you're going to most interested in will start at the 8:50 mark.

I wish I would have been able to do this to my S15, but it already had the intercooler installed when I purchased it. I'm now left without the fog lights and the front bumper supports. I may try and get it redone sometime next year. The only issue would be finding the front bumper supports for a decent price out here.

Reaction score
Country
Cheers guys.

It's on! Still took a little fiddling with the pipework but its on and I'm happy. Fog light fits and everything. Just need to fit the arch liners and under tray. Then battery, fill the washer bottle and fit the new bov when it gets here. Hopefully tomorrow.

Reaction score
Country
oh sweet as mate glad you got it sorted ok and what sort of bov you going for