What's new

coilover clearance

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
hey people, need to pick your brains....

i'd like to know which coilover set up gives the most clearance for wide wheels between the apex gen2's and tein flexs. once again ive had another change of idea and am looking to go 9.5 with 225 tyres all round as someone else had fitted. im on the teins and dont want to change to the gen2's:)

M

Matt_S

Flex's have the extended lower mounts so Id say them. Ill go double check now on the Gen2s for you to see if they have the extended lower mounts, but afaik they dont.

M

Matt_S

Weird. Apex Site just fcuked my laptop! So now that Ive reset heres a quick post of what I mean.

You can see from a pic of a set of Apexi N1s (red) that have the standard(ish) lower mounts and the Tein Flex (green) pic that the Teins have about an extra inch on the lower mount. THus brings the hub further away from the strut, changing the kingpin inclination and then it gets adjusted via the top mounts.

http://turbofabparts.com/parts/catalog/images/APEXi%20N1%20Damper%20ExV%20(Expert%20Type%20V).PNG

http://www.rgarage.co.uk/Product_Images/flex-s14_small.jpg

Reaction score
Country
Compewter noob :rolleyes: /\/\

No way are you going to fit 9.5" fronts with APEX gen 2's without some serious low offset (which means wider arches). I have 8" +35 with a 3mm spacer on 225 tyres and i have about 5mm clearance !

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
this is what i want to find out - im on tein flex jez but this combination was fitted to a guy on the sxoc's s14 and he had no probs on the gen2 apex's with a 22mm offset on 225's (9.5 all round).

is it fair to say that if it fit an s14 it will fit the s15 or are the arches different depths/sizes? i know the shell is different.......

M

Matt_S

NO! I had loads of wheels for my 14 for drifting. I think I had two pairs in the end that fitted the S15 without having any issues :wack:

THere is a thread on there somewhere (one on here too - ultimate wheel fitting guide) telling you what goes on etc.

There are always gonna be fitment issues with regard to strut/wheel clearance, but then you have to worry about the widths too and make sure its not gonna sit outside the arch.

Vitually ALL my wheels from the S14 just about went on the back of the S14, the front? Forget it without a set of fibregrlass archs LOL!