What's new

Coilover help please

P

Paul D

I've got a set of kei office coilovers fitted to my s15 and the springs are that hard the back end comes out over the slightest bump. Also dips in uneven road bring me right out of the seat. Can you get softer springs for them like 6/5's instead of 9/8's thats on and does anyone know where to get them?

I need to get it sorted asap because its either going to shake my car to bits or cover it in ....:hurl:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
9/8s?!!!! What's your dentist cover like?! :eek:

Yes, I've got Apex's coilovers fitted. They're 6/4 and I have the dampers set halfway. On this setting, they're firm but acceptable. They'll soften and harden quite a bit either way.

There are plenty of other brands with more acceptable spring rates. The Apex ones are probably the most reasonably priced and good value for money.

N

neosilvia

If those numbers you are talking are 9kg and 8kg, that seems to be close to the standard for Kei Office, they seem to specialize in drift setups. My JIC are running 12kg front 14kg rear with 2.1kg helper springs, but that is track only (almost perfect road conditions) road race & time attack, I wouldn't want to try that spring rate on the street.
The Tien Flex I just took off my S15 (the ones that were on it when I bought it) are 5kg front 4kg rear and they had the EDFC to adjust dampening rates while you are sitting in the car. They worked well for the street and occasional track use.

P

Paul D

I've had a look on ebay and missed out on a set of apex ones. He was clearing the last set for ?436 + ?20p&p. I decided to give them a ring to see if they had anymore but they're all gone so he's gona do me a set of 6/5 gen2's for ?495 + p&p instead of ?595. Happy days :cool:

Are these gona be soft enough for the soad but have better handling over standard and is it the inverted ones to stay away from???

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
They'll be fine, mate. I would say steer clear of the inverted ones. Its just that they usually need rebuilding each year.

P

Pazz

Re-light the fire....

Does anyone know the spring rates of the stock suspension used on a S15?

I am weighing up 6/5s or 5/4s. I live in a pretty rural area and I have a feeling that 6/5's could be too hard for some of the bumpy roads near by me.

Reaction score
Country
Ive got 6/5's and they ride the potholes and bumps fine around the sh***y roads here in Essex!

The ride is firm but absorbs the dips and bumps without any drama :)

Reaction score
since were on the subject as another option im currently using the tein super streets. Great for the ****ty roads we have in ireland. The only thing is they dont go as low as my apexi ones did.

P

Pazz

This is one of the things that started me thinking. The TEIN Super Streets are 5/4's whereas TEIN Mono Flex's are 7/5's.

Reaction score
well they handle very well on track to for drifting, the damping has a great range, as for grip driving i havent tried a setup yet but do plan on it in the next few months.

G

gunner93

At a guess 2/2's... but dont hold me to it
I read somewhere its 2-ish/2 as well.

My personal choice for upgrade (if ever) would be Tien SS - not brutish (so as my buttocks wont get rattled), good compromise for handling, easily serviceable and support is also available in around my area. :thumbs:

Reaction score
If you can, then maybe invest in Bilstein RG dampers with Eibach progressive springs. The springs feature 3kg/mm rates up front and 3.26kg/mm at the rear. Alternateively Eibach direct winding springs are also available that will slot right into your existing Kei-Office dampers.

P

Pazz

I'm going for the Apex UK 5/4's which have had some good reviews so far.

Reaction score
Yups i heard of those, too bad we dont live in germany where roads are supposedly excellent. The last thing you'd want is a fast car that cant be driven fast cos of the road. Cheers mate

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
I just fitted modified supersteets. springs are 5/4'svand the valving has been changed to suit Aus roads. Standard Jap superstreets are 6/4's. Ride is firm, but not too hard. I would definately recommend them for a street car.

mint

Reaction score
Website
www.JDMtas.com
You see i want SS's however im a bit worried by Slammedminds comment regarding the lowness of the settings.. I want my 15 pretty decked but i want the bling factor of EDFC ;) brando whoreo.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
About 30-40mm sounds about right.

Mint: if you want it low, better off getting some Tein flex. I believe they have height adjustment on the body of the coilover. Not sure if they would be road legal. I know they are not legal here.