What's new

Couple Of Q's

Reaction score
Country
Couple Of Q's (Preventing bootlid from flying open)

First of all im going to go ahead and remove the rear spoiler from the Silvia and just wanted to know how much this job should roughly cost? Also, will the whole bootlid have to resprayed when doing this job?

Secondly, i'm wanting to wind my coilovers down an extra 10-20mm; the suspension has already been set up proffesionally so would i be ok to just lower these myself and then get the tracking checked or take it back to where it was set up and have them do it? I just want to ensure that i only lower the car and not effect anything else really!

Cheers :)

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
1) remove it yourself, its just a few nuts/bolts on the underside of the boot, and disconnect the high brake light from where you change the bulb (or just chop the cable. much easier.) Will take you no more than 5 minutes.

A good bodyshop will be able to just fill and respray that area only. I had mine tidied up and they just blended it in. Looks brand new. Couldn't tell you exact cost, but i reckon we're talking less than £80 for Pewter (WV2).

2) as you lower the car you'll throw all the arms out, so unless they're adjustable, if you want perfect handling/tracking etc, then dont do it. You'll also create more negative camber when you lower it which will screw up your tyre wear and make it handle like dog if its too high..

Unless its spending most of its life on the track, and you live no where near any speedbumps or ramps, then i'd leave it at its set height lol. mines not that low on the coilies, and the front end still scuffs on some speedbumps. ugh. If you do lower it, DEFINITELY get the tracking checked as i can guarantee it'll be out.

Reaction score
Country
Ye the only thing that concerned me was trying to keep the perfect finish of the paint! I'll need to try and find a decent sprayer...

I understand about the negetives of lowering a car but an extra 10-20mm will get it sitting exactly where i want it! (wheels flush with arches). I may just take it to where it was set up and make sure i can safely lower it that bit extra without causing any problems. :)

Reaction score
Country
if you have coilovers then the chances are you will already have rear camber & toe adjustable arms if not you will be wearing your tires out like a mad bugger so buy them, up front maybe caster and camber top hats, if yes then just get all that re aligned once you change the ride height - this is standard procedure when changing ride height. Your average joe wheel alignment shop will probably not get this right with all the extra adjustment, all they will know is the factory adjustment settings & locations for adjustment, factory adjustment setting should just be put in the stock location and just left, the adjustment should be made from the arms specific adjustment location so spend extra money and take it to someone who specializes in this, and dont use stock alignment settings they will make the car feel weird to drive use something like whiteline sport setting or some of there other settings.

And i take it you already know to keep an eye of your front right for rubbing on the engine bay loom? once lowered

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Do as jase says in terms of alignment. Per 10mm you go, the toe out on the rear will increase by similar amounts! So lower it and get it re adjusted!

Plus as spoony says watch out for the loom on the RHF arch lining.

Reaction score
Country
Cheers for the heads up! I think i'll just take it to where it was set up previously and get it lowered and adjusted; shouldn't run into any problems then!

Reaction score
Country
I'm going ahead and lowering the car myself, just had enough time to do the rear this evening and the front will be done tomorrow followed by a geometry check!

I also removed the rear spoiler today and noticed that opening the boot now becomes a problem! Without the weight of spoiler on the boot lid it now flys open! Is there anyway of stopping the lid from doing this?

Reaction score
Country
not really, however you could bend the bars a little bit or put your spoiler on the scales then fix a corresponding weight to the underside of your boot