What's new

diff oil

F

freebird

Nicely you say you use red line heavy shock proof in the diff, why?
The tech guys at red line recommend light shock proof. :confused:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
After investigation, I found that it was recommended by quite a few of the NS.com guys and a number of Skyline owners. :)

F

freebird

Cool if it runs well then thats great however this is the reply I got from Red Line after telling them all about the car 280bhp, rwd, 6MT, torsen diff, fast road and trackday use.

"Davey,

Thank you for contacting Red Line Oil, your transmission and
differential share the same fluid, I would recommend the MT-90. It is
suitable for the Torsen differential, it will offer shiftability and
performance.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil"

Sorry for some reason I thought they had recommended the light shock proof but it would seem MT-90 is the stuff.
Regards
Davey

Last edited:
F

freebird

I'm getting more and more confused :annoyed::annoyed::annoyed:, this is a further email exchange I had with Red Line.

--------------------------------------------------------------
Hi Dave,​
Thanks very much for you reply, having spent some time working in a tribology department of an R&D company I have a keen interest in oils and was wandering if you could provide a little more info if its not to much trouble. I was wandering if there would be any advantages/disadvantages in using light or heavy shock proof in the torsen diff.​
Thanks again for your help.​
Regards​
Davey​

Davey,

For combined street and track use I wouldn't expect an advantage or benefit to the use ShockProof in your trans/axle. They contain a friction modifier so can be too slippery for the synchros, the low temperature/cold flow characteristics are going to be superior in our other products than the ShockProof as they contain moly in a gel structure, it tends to thicken quicker than the base oil. The ShockProof gear oils are designed and better suited to racing and some speciality use rather than most street applications. Any of the products will work with the Torsen gear type differential.

In your particular application I wouldn't expect any advantage to using the ShockProof and it's unique characteristics, likely only disadvantages.

Regards, Dave
Red Line Oil

--------------------------------------------------------------------

I also contacted Nissan and they say to only use Nissan Matic as they would. :annoyed:

F

freebird

Depends on the usage i guess
Yes Topper I think you?re dead right, so the question as it appears to me is do I drive it every day or is it a dedicated trackday / competition car. So as a tribologist (TRIBOLOGY: The science of the mechanisms of friction, lubrication, and wear of interacting surfaces that are in relative motion.) and having done a considerable amount of research I?m go for Red Line 75W90NS in the Torsen Diff and Red Line MT-90 in the Gearbox. I?ll post again once its done and let you know how it sounds.