What's new

Dodgy LSD?

W

WATDA

Hi guys. I have a factory helical lsd diff in my S15 Spec R 6spd manual and was wondering if this is normal or mine has issues. It seems that the drivers side gets more power than the passenger side wheel. For example it will skid 2 wheels but the right one seems to spin faster. Also if give it a bit of stick the ass will always step out to the left so i assume the right wheel is getting more power and driving it around? One last thing, tonight i took a steep driveway on a angle and the drivers side wheel lifted up in the air and the car got stuck, the left wheel did not pull it out at all so was acting like a open diff. Is this how everyone elses diffs act? Delivering more power to the driverside wheel? I changed the diff oil and it didnt help.
Any help appreciated
Andrew

Last edited:
W

WATDA

Hmm maybe. I know the driveway thing is because of a helical diff. It acts just like a open diff in situations like that according to the threads i found

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You might be right. I know Topper had trouble getting over an angled speed bump near my house. Similar thing occurred.

P

Paddy mack

I taut the same as you but the Helical Diff will spin the inside wheel from time to time

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
My diff stopped me getting over a speed bump at Nicely's. However normally the wheel that spins faster is the passenger side wheel, if i do a wheel spin sitting on the spot, the passenger side wheels spins faster. Coming out of roundabout or tight ish corners i get that wheel spinning up while the other doesnt.

I came out of a junction, with Nicely behind, its was over a crest and the inside wheel (passenger side) spun up as i tried to pull away. Nicely, you commented on this finding it funny as yours didnt do it. Which is weird.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
In Sweden the roads lean outwards from the middle so that rainwater wont get trapped. That could explain why the car steps out to the left.

As I understand if one will have no traction at all, the diff will not lock.
I think that Horsham developments have had problems with this on his track S13 with S15 diff. Hitting the curbs so that one wheel is airborn.

Topper. Your diff seem to need some love. You've got PM soon.