Fitting Subframe Locking Collars

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hi guys,

I've got some Driftworks alloy subframe locking collars. Basically I've been told you need to loosen and drop the subframe and then these slip on in between existing bushes and the chassis IIRC (??)

I've been under and around the diff area recently (replacing diff oil) and had a look but still unsure how to do this job lol...

I've got 4 locking collars so are there x4 locations which mount the subframe. From what I can gather there's x2 locations where the rear lower arm suspension seems to bolt onto and are there x2 locations near the central diff area??

I'll try and get some pics under the car and I assume the collars go in between the bottow on the car and the top of the existing bush when the subframe is lowered?

Cheers

James :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
There are two points per side. The collar with the slit goes on top and the other one in the bottom. You should have 8 pieces. 4 for each side.
The locations are further out from the diff closer to the wheels
They should be pretty obvious once you see them. Just loosen the bolt enough to slide the top one in.
It's been some years since I did this so don't really remember exactly how it was done. But it was a very straight forward job. Just do one subframe bush at a time and you'll be fine :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I could help you do them next Saturday after Curborough if you like James?

I put a set on my car about 6 months ago, and they are good. I love it how you can hear the whine of the diff and the clunk as you select a gear from neutral. The back end feels way more 'attached' to the rest of the car aswell.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Thanks for the help guys :)

James - I'm gonna take a look at that guide tonight.

Craig - are you going to Curborough mate?? I'm going for my 5 runs but cos of the kids I won't be able to stay all day... will prob leave soon after lunch. If it's ok I'll let you know closer to the time about that Sat - thanks for offering to help and I could do with an extra pair of hands :D

Nice1 fellas!!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, I'll be up there, its only a couple of miles from my house.. Hopefully it'll be dry too so I can bring the S15 up. If not it will be Punto power!

Fitting the collars is quite simple, but looks daunting before you start. Just make sure you get the car nice and high, with the stands away from the subframe and mounts so it drops down when you loosen the nuts. When you are underneath you will see the mounting points and all becomes clear :)

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hey hey lets see if the Punto can make sub 1 minute around Curborough lol :D

I heard lap record is around 1:05?? Never been so look forward to testing myself and Silvia...

Cheers for the tips on locking collars - really need to get these done soon!!!