What's new

Gearbox Issue

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
I am now the proud owner of Jono's S15 Spec R:cool: :D :nod:. However on the journey home the gearbox started giving bother. I can't select reverse at all and I can't select 5th gear when stationary only when moving?
Any1 have any idea what the problem is because I'm baffled. The lads at Torque GT said they had no ideas and had never come across the problem on any car, but that the warranty on the car will cover the replacement/repair.

Very impressed with the car but just a bit of a downer to the purchase. Any help appreciated. Will take it to a mechanic 2morro but just wonderin if any1 came across this problem b4.

Reaction score
reverse on all MT6spd boxes are always a knightmare, but i've never had mine not go in at all. or the 5th gear problem you're having.

if you're likin' it now, you'll be even more impressed when it's all sorted! :D

The lads at torque are very good, quite a few people on here use them. They're mentioned alot here, so i'm sure they'd prefer to keep their name well respected and will do all to sort it for you! :)

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
The strange thing is that it happened without any warning. when testing the car it worked fine, no grinding, crunching or any probs getting into gear. Just wouldn't go in at all l8r when I'd driven 300 miles away. 5th is not to serious as I can select it while moving which is when you want it, but it is just curious and possibly a sign of another problem that may worsen.
Yea the Torque lads are decent chaps. very easy to deal with and seemed keen to get the problem sorted out for me as quickly as possible.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Reverse can frequently cause problems. Try selecting third, then reverse.

Otherwise, it could be the first signs of a weak brake master or slave cylinder.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
no joy it still won't work. I would of thought the slave cylinder goin would prevent you selecting any gears at all.:confused:
I still can't see why its 5th and reverse unless both gears are on the same selector. but 5th works when moving and only stops when stationary.:confused:

P

Paddy

Are you getting any grinding noise?
Will they go into position with the engine off?

T

tass15

i would say its a selector fork/shaft problem, thye share the same shift fork. if i were you i would get it sorted asap, as it could lead to further probs.

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
yea I was thinkin selector problem myself, wasn't sure if both gears were on same shaft. There is no grinding or any noise at all it just hits a blockage and won't engage. reverse can't be selected at all ( moving, stationary with engine off/on. 5th can be selected when moving only.
Just have to find a mechanic who can do it:annoyed:. my mechanic, who builds and maintaines rally cars, is booked solid for 2-3wks and has 2 rallys and 6-7 cars to finish.:rolleyes:

T

tass15

you should ask whoever does the work to have a look at fixing the 3/4th gear circlip issue, as it sounds like the box might have to come apart. may as well have a bulletproof box for big kw's lol

T

tass15

have a search, the 3rd/4th gear circlip on some boxs has popped out, causing bad bad things to happen.