What's new

help! car is running very poorly

Reaction score
I recently put in a new exhaust (80mm / 3in piping). It sounded great when i first put it in, but after a few days, the car started sounding like it was running on 3 cylinders. At idle, the car shakes, and while driving, i feel a loss of power and the sound is noticeably different (sounds like a impreza boxer engine opposed to the smooth exhaust sound it usually has). Also, during this state, the car backfires constantly

There isnt any smoke coming out of the exhaust, but occasionally i smell fuel. Also, i smelled this strange sweet-ish smell at one point.

The strange thing is, after driving for awhile, everything goes back to normal. Also, the car starts up perfectly fine every other time i start the car.

I was worried that i had a bad headgasket, so i checked the oil if coolant was mixed in, but it was fine. Now my best guess is that one of the cylinders is running rich, and my cylinder is getting flooded with fuel. i have a hks sqv blow off valve venting to atmosphere, but this problem didnt occur until i put in a new exhaust.

Can you guys recommend where i should search for problems and how i can fix em?

Last edited:

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Sounds like a coilpack mate. Probably the one next to the firewall too :)

I wouldnt drive it until you have a new one as it is because it'll only be runnning on 3 cyl's

Reaction score
thanks for the help craig8585... ill check it out tomorrow.

btw, that link is broken. What exactly did you search for?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I just searched the word 'coilpack' and loads of info came up that will help you out :)