Help on buying clutch??

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Folks,

Just noticed on the way home tonight that the clutch is slipping - prob came to light when I was carrying 3 other blokes (came back from cinema lol) and in 5th gear on the motorway, I could not accelerate past 4/5k on the revs cos it's slipping that badly :no:

Soooo...

Can anyone recommend summat like this:

http://www.driftworks.com/catalog/products/exedy-ultra-fibre-organic-clutch-kit.html

My cash funds are a bit short so no triple plate/super launching items from ORC etc but how's the above as a suitable replacement?

Is it deffo worth getting the release bearing changed at the same time and how about the flywheel? Driftworks state that they will not warrant the product unless a new flywheel is purchased (although it does not have to be from them)...

Cheers,

James

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
IMO always change the release bearing. for the sake of $20 or so, it's good insurance. Any good clutch kit should come with a replacement. I an guarantee that an old one will colapse just after you put the new clutch in. (Murphy's law). I am not sure if the S15 has one or not (never changed an S15 clutch), but if it has a pilot bearing in the back of the crank, change that one too.

I have never changed a flywheel for a clutch change. I have had one skimmed if it looked like it was warped or overheated.

Remember that if you go away from the standard type flywheel, you may increase vibrations and noise.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Cheers dude - I've ordered one via tuning garage I use regularly since they deal with Exedy.

Getting organic straight swap item including fitting and VAT for just over £500 - doesn't seem too bad considering they reckon it'll be 3 to 4 hours labour...

Not changing flywheel - got enough expenses as it is :wack:

D

daniel83

Before I decided too have ORC I was thinking of organic from Exedy. But now when I have my ORC on place and working. I think I did a very good choice.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i think the same about the exedy hyper single, just wish it wasnt noisy thats all:nod:

D

daniel83

It´s nice when you make nocies from the clutch. It sounds like you have a monster machine under the bonnet. :D