What's new

how do you pressurize the combustion chamber?

Reaction score
Country
i've got new valve springs and retainers that i'll be installing in the near future and was told that i need to pressurize the combustion chamber if i'm going to be doing the work while the head is still on the motor. how is this done? any help would be greatly appriciated!

S

StarletRick

you can get a tool that screws in and replaces the spark plug that you can stick a tyre pump on. they dont cost alot.

easier way is to just make sure the piston is tdc and just hold the valve up with a rubber band or something.

be warned though, changing valve springs with the head still on is one of the worst jobs you can do on a car. its horrible. get your swear jar ready, coz it will be full up with pound coins by the time youre done!

Reaction score
yea, not a nice job to do whilst in situ.

personally... if i was going to the lenghts of springs and retainers.... it'd mean cause i'm fitting cams. if i was fitting cam's, i'd be upping the boost. if i was upping the boost.....

I'd DEFINATELY be changing the head gasket! not much of a cost if you're going to them lengths already! :)

Reaction score
Country
you can get a tool that screws in and replaces the spark plug that you can stick a tyre pump on. they dont cost alot.

easier way is to just make sure the piston is tdc and just hold the valve up with a rubber band or something.

be warned though, changing valve springs with the head still on is one of the worst jobs you can do on a car. its horrible. get your swear jar ready, coz it will be full up with pound coins by the time youre done!
is this what your talking about?

http://www.amazon.com/SG-Tool-Aid-3...5?ie=UTF8&s=automotive&qid=1239660980&sr=1-25

Reaction score
Country
yea, not a nice job to do whilst in situ.

personally... if i was going to the lenghts of springs and retainers.... it'd mean cause i'm fitting cams. if i was fitting cam's, i'd be upping the boost. if i was upping the boost.....

I'd DEFINATELY be changing the head gasket! not much of a cost if you're going to them lengths already! :)

i have new 264 bc cams that i'll be doing as well. i've already fitted a boost controller, but wasn't planning on changing the head gasket until late summer after i get a few other mods done..

is it recommended that i pull the whole head off when changing out the springs?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
It'd be a lot easier to do the work on a bench, than under your bonnet. Especially when you start flicking collets everywhere!

Then as Dazz said, It'd be rude to not uprate the gasket if you have the head off.

That link you had was a compression tester, used to see how much compression you have.

Last edited:
Reaction score
i did my honda head.... valves, springs and retainers in my kitchen on a beer crate on the floor! :D

if you drop a collet you're buggered, they're a knightmare to find.

personally, i'd whip the head off and fit everything in one go and then you'd only need to get it re-mapped once too! :D

S

StarletRick

yup. get the head off. the time youll spend fannying about will be alot more than the time it takes you to take off the head.

Reaction score
Country
yup. get the head off. the time youll spend fannying about will be alot more than the time it takes you to take off the head.

i decided that i'm gonna take a different route.. i'm gonna try and source a blank head to build it up from there. after it's complete, i'll pull and swap heads... that way my s15 will see minimal down time..... with that being said, the search for a blank head is on!