Possible First Track Day

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Hellooo :wave:

I'm just looking into going to my first track day (ever) and I've read some older posts on here to get some info but still want to ask a few more detailed questions if poss. Nicely's thread about his Japfest experience back in 2006 was interesting... :)

I'm planning on going to the Performance Action Day at Castle Combe in April 2008 and need to know how much things will end up costing etc.

*Not looking to spend all day going mad cos I'm sensible lol and want to be treated and act like a beginner - take it easy and build up experience if you know what I mean!!

1. Trackday insurance is a MUST for me but which are the best companies to go for? I currently have road insurance with Sky Insurance but can anyone recommend a good one for track days?

2. Do I have to get ALL DAY track insurance or do they do half-day (limited usage) deals cos I'm not planning on going round the circuit all day?

3. Can anyone recommend a good place for helmets - looking for a store I can walk into and try on so not online if poss?

4. Any extra hints and tips for a smooth day at Castle Combe would be much appreciated as well. What's the circuit like for a beginner cos I've heard many stories about that 'final' bend which took out the NXS this year - ouch!!

Cheers as always :thumbs:

James

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
NXS, do you mean NSX? - Simple mistake of fingers moving to quickly :D

1. Trackday insurance is a MUST - Couldnt agree more, its not worth risking, i use these guys - http://www.competition-car-insurance.co.uk/ - last time i used them i was quote ?180 for the day, with a ?1,400 excess, seems alot but is better than smaching her up and having nothing left.

2. Do I have to get ALL DAY track insurance -
Pass, something you would have to ask them, i've never though about it, done a couple of 3hour sessions, maybe worth asking as ?180/24*3 = ?22.50 :D

3. Can anyone recommend a good place for helmets - I bought mine online, its a motorbike helmet, cost me ?35 from here http://www.thefastone.co.uk/products.asp?cat=304&pg=1 - there is a guide to getting the right fit, mine fits well. I got the TK30 helmet.

4. Any extra hints and tips for a smooth day at Castle Combe would be much appreciated as well. What's the circuit like for a beginner cos I've heard many stories about that 'final' bend which took out the NXS this year - ouch!! - Just do as you have said, take it easy until you learn the track, let faster drivers through, keep an eye on your mirror. Most importantly, have fun. Its an amazing feeling, once you have the helemt on and forget that its your car your driving, you will soon be flying round :D

Reaction score
yes, keep calm and get used to the feel when your driving round, when i saw you at Silverstone this year, that was my first track experience and it was suprising how different the car felt, there is a big difference in driving fast on a road and taking it to the track!!
There are a few tricky corners at Castle so be extra vigilant. but as long as you take it easy on your first laps you will be fine, you'll love it, i cant wait for next year, im dying to get back out there!! :nod::nod::nod:

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
lol Topper - yeah my fingers were going too fast, I meant NSX - nasty accident but glad the driver and the person he hit were both ok?!

Cheers fellas!! :thumbs:

Some good advice there and I'll be sure to take it easy as a novice... :nod: