What's new

problem with radio reception

M

mark s15

hi lads just bought a s15 recently and my radio isnt working.ive seen on the forum that this is a common problem with imports.theres a sony cd player fitted just wondering does anyone know how to fix this?cheers lads

Reaction score
Country
what do you mean by 'not working'? is the stereo powering on, but all you're hearing is static? or isnt it powering on at all?

if it powers on and all you're hearing is static, try scanning through the frequencies as the stations may not be on the number you think they should be on.. for example on mine (not sure why) everything is offset by something like 18MHz.. so Radio1 is around 80.00MHz, not 98.0..

not sure why it does it, and background info would be interesting.. but its worth a shot!
just an idea!

Reaction score
Country
on mine (not sure why) everything is offset by something like 18MHz.. so Radio1 is around 80.00MHz, not 98.0..

not sure why it does it, and background info would be interesting!
Thats because Japan uses lower radio frequencies. To get them to work over here you put in a band expander, but the display still shows the japanese frequency range even though it's actually higher up :)

M

mark s15

ya the radio is powering up alrite but it just keeps scanning and doesnt pick up any signals!i cant seem to get the manual scan to work in the radio to check any frequencies!

Nickichi

Reaction score
Website
forum.s15oc.com
Country
Did you fit the sony recently and was it done using ISO connecters?

follow the link near the bottom of the page (Nicely's post 22) it tells you which iso connecter to use to power the onboard aerial amplifier. might be worth having a look with the radio on and seeing if a voltage is being supplied to the white/black amp cable

http://forum.s15oc.com/showthread.p...ption-After-fitting-new-Radio&highlight=radio

Reaction score
Country
Thats because Japan uses lower radio frequencies. To get them to work over here you put in a band expander, but the display still shows the japanese frequency range even though it's actually higher up :)
ahh cool! nice to know its not my radio playing up.
cheers!

and from what you said there... could mark not have a band expander fitted, therefore only producing static?

Reaction score
Country
I haven't got a band expander on mine at the minute, and the only station you can get over here is radio 2, which is right up near the top of the scale on the Japanese frequency range :)

Reaction score
Country
HI Guys,

Sorry to join the conversation 8 years later,

I have installed a new UK Head set and Sat nav, and i have the same problem, is this physically to do with the aerial then?

Incidentally where is the aerial?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
IIRC, the aerial is built into the rear screen. You may also need to install a signal amplifier.