What's new

Process of car being painted. How?

S

silviac

When a vehicle is painted by manufacturer, it doesn't go under the same process as what panel beaters do.

I once looked at a video which showed how a car was made at Ford.

What it explained was that the parts that are painted is ionised. If you know about chemistry, +ve and -ve ion so attract each other.

So one is being +ve and the other being -ve.

So -ve paint is attracted to the part.

Is this process what most manufacturer do? Or do they still use spray paint?

I want to know if spray paint is any good in terms of long run and durability compare to factory paint. (You know some guarantee for 5 or 10 years on paint fading etc)

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I think a Manufacture dips the shell, and as you've said about make the paint attract to the parts.

A panel beater rubs it all down to make it rough/smooth (not sure which) and/so the paint sticks.

At least this is what i think happens.

As for the paints to use, i have no idea :wack:

Reaction score
Website
www.littleknocks.co.uk
Hi Guys, Nicely has pointed me in this direction so I thought I'd say hi and make this my first post and shed some light on this subject.
I run a Bodyshop which has a couple of sites called LittleKnocks and I am fairly well known on SXOC.
As far as I understand different manufactures have different processes, most manufactures dip the shells for primer and spray the top coat the same way a bodyshop would, apart from the fact its all painted by robot. That way every job is the same each time, Although I've seen runs and dirt in new cars. Also this explains why sometimes the bottom inside of doors and things are a bit shy of paint and not primer.
I have been to various plants and seen this done and it is very impresive.
Some manufactures like Aston Martin ect are painted by hand, which shows in my opinion.
Martin.

Last edited: