What's new

Rear Diff Nuts

Reaction score
Lately the S15 seems to be clunking a lot more when I change gear so I thought I'd get under the car today while I have the day off and have a look. What I found was that one of the nuts at the back of the diff wasn't tightened all the way down. I tried to tighten and loosen it but the nut just keeps spinning. I'm guessing it's cross threaded? :down:

Looking for some advice on the best way to fix this.

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
Those nuts are screwed on to studs dude so it is possible to change the studs but the diff is going to be a mare to get out if you cnt undo one of those nuts.

Maybe consider replacing the bushes and cut or burn the rubber bushes out, n then you can deal with the knackered nut on the floor.

Reaction score
Yeah, I did plan on replacing the bushes anyway. It's the passanger side nut which has some kind of connector? Maybe an earth? So didnt want to melt that or anything. :/

Will the stud just come loose from the diff case?

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Yeah the left one has two nuts I believe one holding the earth, the other to the diff bush.

The studs will come out, but abit difficult in situ, unless like me, when I removed my RH one the stud came out instead of the nut. Actually helps removing the diff.

Gonna be abit akward mate, get a screwdriver behind it if possible, whilst undoing it. May help it grip the threads again.

Reaction score
Cheers, I'll give the screwdriver thing a try once the new bushes get here.

Any idea if I will need to order replacement studs from Nissan or should most motor factors etc sell them?

Reaction score
Well, I tried to remove the diff and change the bushes today but the nut just won't come off. :mad: I even got my uncle to have a look who has been restoring cars for years and he was a bit stumped too. He did suggest welding something to the stud to try and remove that from the diff. I'll give that a try tomorrow as i've gave up for the day. Fingers crossed it'll work.

Reaction score
Right, welded the nut to the stud and got the stud out. Now just having a ballache removing the bushes from the car.

Also, I need to part numbers for the diff rear studs and nuts if someone knows or could get them, please. It would be much appreciated! :)

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Is the thread in the diff ok? Yeah those bushes don't look fun to change in situ. Drop the subframe off?

Cant help with part numbers but nissan UK will be able to look them up, if you give them your chasis number.
I got my diff seals from my local swindon Nissan.

mattyb

Reaction score
Country
I changed mine i situ. I just cut through the sleeve with a hacksaw with the blade upside down if u get what i mean, and it just knocks out.