S15 in the wet

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I just took the car out for a spin. It was raining abit and I can't believe how little grip the rear has as soon as it's a little wet outside.
Is it just my car (running shitty tires). Or is it a general S15 thing?
Exerienced some wheel-hop when wheelspinning in first.
Second, third and fourth gear was just smooth wheelspin :)
And yes, I got wheel-spin in fourth gear.
Didn't force it, just floored it from low revs. When the boost came, away went the rear :)

I'm hoping that it's just my shitty rear-tires.
Even if I tried to launch from a standstill as fast as possible. My 90hp Golf would own my ass all day long :cry:

By the way. I haven't set the EBC up properly yet. So I'm only boosting 0.7Bar

And what to do about that wheel-hop?
My suspension is very stiff as it is now.
Pineapples?
Wheel alignment?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The tyres will be your worst enemy. There's no being a tight arse with them. Get good ones.

Wheel hop can be caused by suspension being too hard. If adjustable, back off the damping. If the alignment is out that won't help either.

So basically, all the above... :p

P

paulphot

We have some very slippery roads in Canberra, especially in the wet. It had been drizzling yesterday afternoon, just enough t make the road damp with no fre surface water or puddles. Came off a highway into a left hand turn of about 120 degrees with a give way sign. Slowed down to about 20kmph in second gear, no traffic so had about 15-20% throttle on and around came the back end. I know my tyres are crap (Dunlop Direzza 225/50/16) and have given me plenty of grip in the past on the S15, probably a combination of first rain for several weeks (brings out the oil in the road), off camber corner and crap surface. I caught the slide but I wasn't expecting it there with how gingerly I was taking the corner.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
My dampers aren't adjustable :(
I think?? I havn't found any adjustable parts yet :)

My friends running Bilstein and Koni suspension thought their cars had hard suspension, until my car came along :)
Now their suspension is soft :D

I'll try chucking my new wheels on when I get them.
Brand new 255s in the rear should help a bit :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Not if they're Nankangs... Make is just as important as size. I had 245/45/16s Nangkangs on the back of my S14 when it had Z32 alloys (came with them). More grip from a well lathered lump of soap... Fantastically long lasting tyres though. Judging by the amount of grip they provided, I'd say they'd have lasted forever... :p

You want to be considering a good wet/dry tyre for Euro driving. Like F1s or Toyo T1s... :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
Not if they're Nankangs... Make is just as important as size. I had 245/45/16s Nangkangs on the back of my S14 when it had Z32 alloys (came with them). More grip from a well lathered lump of soap... Fantastically long lasting tyres though. Judging by the amount of grip they provided, I'd say they'd have lasted forever... :p

You want to be considering a good wet/dry tyre for Euro driving. Like F1s or Toyo T1s... :)
Don't know what make they are. but they where about ?200 for a pair so they should be OK.
Better then the "Maxgrade II" from japan which I got on now :)

J

Jono

Nicely said:
:nod: I've not tried the F1's but I have had the Toyo's. Great tyres - really nice hold but for me, they didn't last nearly as long as I'd hoped they would. I got them new on a set of wheels for my ClioSport and the grip started to suffer after 6 months (5000 miles). Perhaps I expect to much?

The last set of tyres I bought (again, for the Clio) were Michelin Pilot Exalto 2's. All I can say is :thumbs: They were bloomin' marvelous :nod:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
I fitted Falken FK451s on my track wheels. They are relatively cheap and shouldn't be underestimated. Have found them to be excellent. They are being replaced by FK452s which are supposed to be just as good.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely said:
I fitted Falken FK451s on my track wheels. They are relatively cheap and shouldn't be underestimated. Have found them to be excellent. They are being replaced by FK452s which are supposed to be just as good.
Heard lots of good stuff about falken FK451 and 452. Supposed to be very good for the price.
So that is what I will use later.

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
FK451 are great but yet dont last long aswell...but u dont expect it too last long on the track I use brigdestones potenza
RE 050 which are great they grip very well.... :wave:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I think all S15's, infact all 200's are a handful in the wet, i'm running 225 with a chuck on Neg camber on the rear and i have traction issues in 2nd when dry, my uncle drove the car and had the rear slip out on a damp road at 120mph :eek:

Wider tyres for me :nod:

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
i want new rims so i can have wider tyres hahah i found out mine are actually 17x7 not 8 :cry:

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
they r so wide tho ahha
give ya a tenner hehe :D why u looking to get rid of them or something

S

sfg

wet grip

goodyear f1 are fantastic in the wet (personal experience) but you lose steering feel. i reckon i will invest in another set of wet weather wheels/ tyres when i can. as i discussed in my introductory post the s15 and imo the helical diff are very tricky. stiff suspension with too much neg camber wont help. xs tyre width doesn't help either. ultimately we have short wheelbase light stiff cars. however porsche boxter, elise (with mid engine traction) manage fine. i think the rear subframe to chassis bushes add unpredictability ('pineapples' will help).
currrently as i'm getting more miles under my belt i try and apply opposite lock simultaneously with the power on a bend. every other car i've drifted you can slide and then correct.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You think the helical diff is tricky? You should try the viscous. Helical is a doddle in comparison... :eek:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The Helical seems to lock at lower rivs but as you press your foot further one wheels tends to spin up faster. this is how i have experianced it having had no experiance of the viscous :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
The viscous is all or nothing. It'll catch you out much quicker and unexpectedly. The helical is more progressive and predictable.