What's new

Speedo problem

Reaction score
Country
Ill try and get some photos tonight of the wiring. Does sound like some kind of incorrect positive feed.

Sounds like our cars were prepped for ESVA by the same place.

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
this is definately not the case in a car. Just because the wire is red doesn't mean it is a constant +12v.

M

Matt_S

The converter I put in did the same at 60mph using the reccomended installation method. I have another one to fit in case its a duffer, but sounds like Ill get the same problem again.
I used a switched live. Cant remember colours.

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
The converter I put in did the same at 60mph using the reccomended installation method. I have another one to fit in case its a duffer, but sounds like Ill get the same problem again.
I used a switched live. Cant remember colours.
Sounds like you have the same converter as us. use the grey instead of the green wire on the converter and it'll prob work fine.

I'm hoping to get out this weekend to take a look at the wiring/seatbelt sensor issue. An initial mistake in the ESVA prep is all I can think of at the moment.

M

Matt_S

I was told (on another forum) the grey wire was normally used to delimit Toymotas or summat.

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
I did ask about the difference between the two wires, here's the response I got
[FONT=arial,sans-serif]the green and grey are both outputs most nissan and mazda use green mits toyota honda etc grey
there are one or two such as my lucida that will work with either

not of great use. I was hoping for something a bit more technical so I could understand why one was used over the other. I'm gussing it'll have smething to do with signal modulation or the like.
Anyway.. The current seatbelt issue I think the best bet is the live wire used.
The converter must be picking up the pulse sent to light up the warning light on the dash.

Just hope the weather holds up so I can take a look at the weekend

Russ
[/FONT]

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
I've had a look at the wiring for this again today.
Ground is to black wire = ground
+ve is to Red/White wire = constant +12v

I can't see where the unit seems to be picking up a signal from for it to jump when the seatbelt is unplugged.
I'm waiting on my mate to come home so I can take a look with a multimeter.

Russ

M

Matt_S

Any joy? I enjoyed the kmh at the weekend when I went to Le Mans :D

(Still didnt stop be getting knicked ont he way home for speeding tho :wack: )

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Nope.. just don't seem to be able to figure out what's going on.
I've contacted the manufacturer of the original converter that was faulty and they've agreed to replace it under warranty. They seem decent enough.. no arguments from them at all. Just an apology and request for the faulty unit back. http://www.cartek-direct.co.uk/

The one that was in has a 5th connection to the speed sensor - ECU Output I think it's labelled as.
I didn't manage to get the multimeter on either, but will try when I take the dash apart before I put the replacement in again.

Reaction score
Country
Thats the same convertor i replaced in mine so i dont think its going to be faulty, too much of a coincidence ? The grey 'ECU output' cable on the old convertor was connected to the purple and white cable on the plug on the right side of the cluster if i remember correctly.

I also noticed this still does it with the passenger seatbelt even after ive unplugged the drivers seat sensor so the light doesnt come on. its not actually anything to do with the sensor but more like something gets earthed when the seatbelt is firmly clicked in. Obviously when you unplug the sensor its no longer earthing, hence why it goes away for that seatbelt. Very odd ??

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Thats the same convertor i replaced in mine so i dont think its going to be faulty, too much of a coincidence ? The grey 'ECU output' cable on the old convertor was connected to the purple and white cable on the plug on the right side of the cluster if i remember correctly.

I also noticed this still does it with the passenger seatbelt even after ive unplugged the drivers seat sensor so the light doesnt come on. its not actually anything to do with the sensor but more like something gets earthed when the seatbelt is firmly clicked in. Obviously when you unplug the sensor its no longer earthing, hence why it goes away for that seatbelt. Very odd ??
Yup. that's right, it did connect to the purple/white wire on the loom side.
I had to unplug the passenger seatbelt sensor too.

I just can't see why we're getting the issue with this particular converter. I'm pretty sure I didn't get the issue with the previous converter.
They connect to the same wires (other than the purple/white one) so any surge would be present for both.
I can see this one dragging on a bit. Wil lhave to see how the cartek converter does. At least I may be able to ask for some help from them with any issues.

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
Update time:

I received my replacement from Cartek. They tested the 'faulty' unit I sent back and apparently it tested fine. They haven't made that model for a while though due to a lack of demand.
They did manage to produce a replacement for me of 'different design to the original' and they hoped it would still function in the same way.

Well... I fitted it tonight and it works spot on. No sticking points on the speedo... and I can re-connect the seatbelt sensors :)

I now need to let them know it works OK.
Russ

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
This was the original speedo convertor that was swapped ? Did they do it free of charge and did you wire it back in the same way into the purple/grey wire ?

Dont suppose you have a model/serial number ?

Reaction score
Website
raduga-uk.110mb.com
yeah, they swapped the original that was in the car when I bought it.
The car was only imported in August last year so the converter was still under warranty. The only cost to me was the postage back to them.
The part number of the one I took out (and i'm pretty sure the one I put in) was CK-SL-20. The chap at Cartek that dealt with mine was Neil.

This one, as did the original, does wire in to the purple/white wire. According to the label on the converter it feeds back info to the ECU.

It's probably worth sending them an email and asking anyway.

Russ

S

StarletRick

im having this exact problem, its sticking at 10mph intervals.

where abouts is the converter located? ill go and have a wee look.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If you take a look at the guide I linked to in the bulb thread, you'll see the converter in figure 11 (with the blue sticker).