What's new

Standard replacement.

J

just_laze

Hey,

I believe the S15 has 4 speakers, I'd like to replace all 4 with slot in replacements, no fiddling around simply remove the old ones and install the new ones.

I'd like some recommendations please, as always louder with improved sound quality would be nice!

I don't want them stupidly loud, suitable enough for people to believe they 'came' with the car as standard.

laze :)

Reaction score
Just fitting Alpines in mine. All 16.5cm all round. Don't forget the Dynamat :thumbs:
Don't go for stupidly expensive speakers connected to a head unit. Get some decent, but middle of the range speakers and a small ish 4 channel amp all connected via decent cabling.

Around 40wrms for the amp would be fine. Also, put components at the front and coaxial at the rear (fronts are more important).

Hope that helps :)

J

just_laze

Right,

I appreciate your reply Kango, I should have mentioned I do not know the first thing about in-car audio.

I'm not really looking to add anything (amp), simply replace what I'd describe as blown speakers (they buzz to the bass).

I have a kenwood head-unit (stock).

Where can I buy Infinitys from?

laze.

Reaction score
Website
www.coordsport.com
Where can I buy Infinitys from?

laze.
I'll get you the part numbers off the ones i got later,
i got mine from bass junkies but they are a little expensive.
i'm not 100% sure if they do them ,but try www.caraudiodirect.co.uk
as they do some cracking deals and have a good rep.

there are direct replacement kenwoods too, i'll sort you that part number later too.

kimi x

Reaction score
Website
www.coordsport.com
Ok the infinitys are 62.5i , they are 6 1/2" 75watt.
not cheap at around ?100 but do sound fantastic.

The kenwoods are KFC-PS170 they are 13cm 200watt,
they are a little cheaper at ?80.

i hope that helps you a little :thumbs:

Last edited:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
As some of you know, I have virtually no interest in ICE. So long as it has a DAB radio and plays MP3 CDs, I'm happy. If I want more, I go into the house and watch/listen on a decent system. Speaker-wise, I went on the recommendation of someone on SXOC and got some fairly reasonably priced rear speakers. Can't remember what the fook they were though... :p They were an improvement though... :D

EDIT: they were these.

Just wish I could get a decent FM/DAB aerial setup which can cope with the dodgy reception between Salisbury and Swindon.... :annoyed:

J

just_laze

Hey Nicely,

They look like a right bargain!

Will I literally be able to remove the old ones and slot these in (with a little bit of soldering, right?)? If I was to order them now would I need to purchase any additional cabling?

By the way, how you feel about ICE reflects my feelings exactly, at least for now.

Reaction score
Website
www.coordsport.com
By the way, how you feel about ICE reflects my feelings exactly, at least for now.

:D me too , when i had the s15 i had the big idea of getting a nice head unit, so i got a flashy Alpine.....trouble is i aint got a clue how to work the damn thing :annoyed:
looks good though :rotfl: :rotfl: i've been told that when its set up right it sounds good too but i have not managed it yet :wack:

Oh i remember now you have to put spade connectors on end of the wires,thats it your done :thumbs:

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I bought some Infinity speaker for the front, no real improvment (needs and Amp to power me thinks) but just plugged in, no wirign required.

Kango - Dynomat, are you nuts, think of the weight your adding :D
Nicely - Does you DAB get a good signal? My current analog stereo is less than crap and i can only get a signal while stopped outside my house :rolleyes:

Any recomendations for a headunit with decent signal capacity (DAB?) and power output (most are 4x45w right?)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
My DAB signal has been fine until going to Swindon. There are always black spots, but it just seems to be one continuous shyte signal. Probably bloody army jamming! :p Check the Digital signal for your area.

FM is just plain crap. The rear screen aerial is abysmal - even with a signal booster (which I'm not convinced is working). I never had an FM problem with the S14 external aerial. Thinking of getting something like this.

If you get a DAB head unit, try to make sure it has auto band switching. This auto changes to FM if the digital signal is lost and returns when its back.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Does that Auto Band thing search to get the best signal for the station also? My Focus does this and its so good, i want that too :)

So even if i get a DAB headunit, the reception would be crap unless i get an external aerial?

J

just_laze

Right,

So as simply as it can be put...

I need to buy the speakers and some 'spade' connectors, right?

The ones you've linked to, I may replace the front speakers too, are these the front ones?

Which spades do I need and how many if I plan to buy 4 speakers?

I don't need an amp, right? Straight swap?

laze.

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Its the SGLINK style ones you need. A +ve and -ve for every speaker. Not sure about the front. Not changed them. :nod: straight swap. No amp.

Does that Auto Band thing search to get the best signal for the station also? My Focus does this and its so good, i want that too :)

So even if i get a DAB headunit, the reception would be crap unless i get an external aerial?
RDS. Most FM radios have that. The auto band thing identifies which station you're on and tracks the equivalent FM station.

You will definitely need at least a rear screen mounted DAB aerial. Check the last couple of photos in my Members Ride thread.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The ones you've linked to, I may replace the front speakers too, are these the front ones?
Those are the right size of speakersm however are not a straight swap as they come with tweeters, these require to be fitted somewhere, preferably pointing right at you, for a straight swap, get just the speakers and not the compnent speaker.

The componants will give much better sound though :nod: