What's new

Tomei Adjustable Cam Pulleys?

Reaction score
Country
Hi guys,

Question on these pesky pulleys, I didn't really do my research and flew in straight away and purchased two cam pulleys not pausing to think about VVT? So If I am to fit both I loose my VVT! So just wanted some opinions, maybe what you guys have done? Really need to put up a build thread. The car was previously owned by Darren, then by Lee, car is stage one plus atm at 320bhp want to take it to the next level, basically going with a GTX2867R, Tomei poncams plus a few other little bits hoping for a responsive SR at 380 plus oh high boost! :)

drifter

Reaction score
Country
I'd keep the vvt pulley if I were you. I used it up to about 450bhp, after that with bigger cams you get more benefit from being able to dial the cams in with the pulleys :)

If you do decide to fit them, don't forget you'll need a replacement bolt as the vvt pulley bolt is too long :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
If you go with the pulleys then you may as well get a more aggressive pro cam rather than poncams as they are better suited . Poncams are basically drop in cams . Probably will want to look at uprating the springs and retainers while you're in there

Reaction score
Country
Yeah I'm thinking that I am just going to just run one for now - on the inlet side. Going to keep the other Tomei pulley just in case I decide to run a more aggressive valve train set up in the future. Is it easy to separate the gear which runs the CAM sensor from the exhaust cam pulley? Yeah peglio, I have kinda upgraded a little to suit my new cams just being anal but, went with the Tomei single springs and Tomei valve guides, trying to give my head a fresh start at running this new power level :). Think I should run rocker arm stoppers? Heard mixed things about them? Cheers guys!
?:?

Reaction score
Country
Cheers guys I did write a reply to the both of you! It hasn't happened though yet! Yeah I think I am going to stick with VVT as I really want the car to drive almost stock like! Yeah I did buy two brand new bolts to replace them on reassembly anyway! I think I'm just going to run one of the pulleys for now, on the exhaust side! Can anyone suggest a good way of separating the gear from the cam pulley which runs the cam position sensor? Yeah peglio, I did read that they pretty much work as a drop in solution, but being anal I went with the single valve spring tomei upgrade, and tomei valve guides just so my head is fresh when it returns from machining! Hopefully will make it reliable? :p Think I should run rocker stoppers? I've heard mixed things about them? :rolleyes:

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah type a springs are a good upgrAde to complement the poncams buddy and defo make it safer . Personally would fit the rocker stoppers while you're at it . Most I know do and I had a set to drop in with my cams before I lost my senses and decided to go vet should be a reliable set up and ,from what I have seen, will eliminate the slight flat spot in the mid range

Reaction score
Country
Yeah man, that's what I hoped for tbf! Did you still have them up for sale your rocker stoppers? Haha decided to go VET! That's mad! Gunna be a crazy build! Still can't wait to see it in the flesh! Hopefully I'm hoping for a linear power delivery and just a nice all rounder really! 👍🏻

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Afraid not buddy one of my mates is taking my built head , cams springs retainers and stoppers ! Yes ha ha totally lost the plot destroying my wallet ha ha hopefully won't keep you waiting too long . That's exactly what you should get with these bud just iron out the flatter parts of the curve. . Should be sweet when done man

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Reaction score
Country
Wouldn't even know the first thing about getting/ tracking down a VET head, I've heard they are mental! I can imagine its wallet busting haha! This is bad enough for me being an apprentice and my lot keep telling me its a joke how cheap the parts are for the cars! Yeah cool man, ill track down some rocker stoppers then! Hopefully now my threads kinda there I will keep it updated so you can see how my little builds coming along! :)

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Ha I was kinda lucky as a mate had already done one so can ask if I need Amy help and even luckier my mapper decided to give up on his vet build so I'm buying most of his stuff ha ha ha it is killing me money wise especially as I'm setting up my own body shop atm but it will be worth it I'm sure
Ah awesome man I will be sure to have a peek

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk