What's new

turbo timer speedo fault

d.

Reaction score
I have recently installed an HKS type 1 (2008) turbo timer on a '99 JDM S15.
It has been connected directly to the speedo signal and functions correctly - HOWEVER the needle on my speedometer no longer functions!
I am at a loss, as even the odometer still works.

Has anyone had a similar experience or know a solution?

M

Matt_S

The speedo signal for the turbo timer should be on the ECU loom FROM the speedo set. Is that the case with yours?
Whereas the rpm signal goes from the ECU to the clocks, the Speedo signal goes from the clockset to the ECU.

Hope that helps.

And no, Ive never had it happen like you say on yours.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
when you spliced it into the rpm signal lead did you get a good connection as in the connection from the tt to the ecu may be good but now you may have a dis between the ecu wire and the lead to the speedo.....

d.

Reaction score
The turbo timer is wired up according to the HKS diagram – it runs off the ECU loom from the back of the speedo set with no splicing required. All signals are functioning correctly – the needle just doesn’t move.

I’ve even contacted VDO Australia, however they didn’t want to know about it - lost interest as soon as ‘Nissan’ and ‘turbo timer’ were mentioned...

d.

Reaction score
because I asked my mechanic to plug it in while he was installing the alarm and a couple of other bits and pieces - thought it would make things simpler – thought wrong :(

thanks for the links – i’ll get him to check the ECU for blown fuses etc.

d.

Reaction score
all fuses are fine and everything is wired as per the HKS USA diagrams.
short of trialling another speedo (which is proving difficult to source), what other possibilities exist?

could the turbo timer be faulty? if so, how would i test for this (without hooking it up to a new cluster)?

- all ideas are appreciated...

Last edited: