What's new

what are the differences between s14a and s15 subframes?

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
i've heard there are differences, but in any of the pics i've seen i cant spot them.....has anyone had them side by side and noticed anything obvious apart from the extra bar between the rear mounts? any info appreciated :)

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I was asking this a while ago too, but have not found a definitive answer. I'm buying Richy200's S15 subframe from him as he's fitted a S14 one, so he may be able to add some information here.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
well if you are buying an s15 subby off someone else and yours is in good condition, how about selling me yours when you've built the new one up (if its this year before or around winter time?) this way i can do the same, and from then on there is an exchange s15 subframe going around the club....... just a thought. its much easier for me to build it up at my leisure and then do a swap only having to swap the diff and hubs at the time, plus the powder coater can take his time.....

i managed to find a powder coater on my doorstep (literally :) ) that does a three step coating of zinc phosphate primer, powder coat then hard clear coat so it should never rust again, and he can powder coat in chrome for no extra cost so what would be the reason of going black again lol :)

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Yeah, I have some really good contacts too for powdercoating as we used to get loads of stuff done by them in my last job. My subframe is virtually rust-free so we can do an 'exchange on that if you like. As for a timescale, I was looking to do it towards the winter too. so that is when mine would be ready.
I spent ages thinking and discussing with other people about what colour to go for and have finally decided to go for a gloss (or maybe metallic) black on the frame, suspension arms, hubs and diff case and metallic gunmetal strengthning bars/brackets. I initially though about going for an outlandish colour like driftworks orange or metallic silver but have decided to go for the 'stock, but mint' look!
Another idea I've being toying with is geting the new subframs stripped to bare metal then geting all the joints TIG welded up which should add a negligible amount of strength but will prevent any moisture traps that will lead to corrosion. Should look pretty cool too :)

Reaction score
Website
www.flickr.com
Country
From what I understand the S15 lower control arm is a slightly different angle to give better traction, just as the S14 is better than the S13. Lots of R32 GT-R guys swap to a R33 subframe for the same reason.

Reaction score
This is something that im interested in doing also, an exchange subframe that means your subframe gets sold on to a fellow member sounds like a good idea to me. Only thing is i'm not sure i can wait that long for it to get around to me:no:. I know what colour i want mine to be purple:D

craig8585

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Let me know when you want it doing Al as I can get you a price for it. I get powdercoating done nice and cheap ;)

Reaction score
Sounds good craig i would have just taken it to oxford industrial finishers because i've had stuff done by them before but i doubt they would be able too do it as cheap as you say you can get it done for. Obviously i can't get mine done until i source another subframe. i was kinda counting on you have a spare after you've done yours:D. and you say yours won't make a start on that till winter.