Bulb specs and types

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You may find this useful when you need to replace bulbs. There are some quite unusual bulbs on the S15 :nod:

Unless stated, all bulbs are white

Headlight unit
Low beam: H1 (55W)
High beam: HB3 9005 (60W)
OEM HID low beam: D2S (35W) 4300k?.

Exterior
Sidelight/parking: 501 (5W)
Front indicators: 581 (21W - amber) These bulbs have an OFFSET base bayonet
Side indicators: 501 (5W) Although white, you will require amber bulbs if swapping to clear/smoked indicator units
Fog lamps: H3 (55W)

Rear combination lamp
Indicator: 7440 (21W)
Brake/tail: 7443 (21W/5W) Two per side (one per side on ADM S15s)
Reverse: 921 (18W) If a reversing light is converted to a fog light, you will require a red bulb
High mounted brake: 921 (18W)

Number plate: 501 (5W)

Interior
Interior main: 269 (10W) 30mm length
Map lights: 233/BA9 (8W or 10W)
Boot: 501 (3.4W) Although the workshop manual states 3.4W, 5W is going to be much easier to find

Last edited:
H

harald200

501 bulbs

These are the ones with no metal thread or socket, but just wires and they slot into place.

Reaction score
But, where the hell can you get the bulbs from (wedge type)? I don't want leds, just normal bulbs, also coloured, but dunno where to get them.

Anyone?

F

Fro-Daddy

I did my interior lights yesterday as well as my parkers...and should be doing my dash this arvo, just helping my mate find out what they S15 dash takes and how it looks...will get some pics if anyone is interested...

P

Pazz

Anyone recomend a good set of 501's other than the ones posted above? Need a decent white set for sidelights as compared to HID's they are a terrible yellow. Just wondered if anyone had a recommendation, not really after a strong blue tint.

Last edited:
M

Matt_S

Anyone recomend a good set of 501's other than the ones posted above? Need a decent white set for sidelights as compared to HID's they are a terrible yellow. Just wondered if anyone had a recommendation, not really after a strong blue tint.
Halfords 501LB

Laser Blue ;) (Brilliant white in otherwords)

F

Fro-Daddy

My mate has heaps...T10 wedge base...I THINK they would be AUD$25 posted overseas...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Regardless of which ones you use, they'll all look crap next to HIDs. Only ultra bright white LEDS look OK. But they tend to break after a few months...

F

Fro-Daddy

I had these same T10 LEDs as parkers in my Forester with 6000k HIDs and they matched quite well...the pic isn't the best because it's off my phone but you get the idea...these LEDs lasted well over 6 months in my foz and are still going strong with the new owner, even after he crashed the car...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You can't beat the LEDs on colour match. Just haven't been able to find any reliable 501 types. The proximity to the main bulbs plays a part in their quick demise...

F

Fro-Daddy

When I first saw that guide you linked me to Nicely, I was thinking 'that's a whole lot of effort to get the dash out, surely it's easier'...and I was right :p Just like in every one of my other cars, just drop the steering column and take out the 2 screws in the surround, then the 3 holding the cluster...didn't even have to unplug the harness to swap the bulbs...

I only changed to to red last nigh to see what it was like, I also changed the boost gauge. Looks pretty good, although behind the standard dials there are crazy patches which change the light, same as in the R34 dash, I'll get some pics of what I mean and post them.

I also changed my back lighting on the clock and tripmeter.

F

Fro-Daddy

That's the LEDs in my dash there...bad pic yea, but I couldn't be bothered taking the one off my phone haha. It's only slightly different to the factory orange...

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You have to be a little careful with white LEDs in the dash. The difference in colour between the LED white and the standard halogen yellow can make a big difference to the look. Don't ever put them in dash warning lights :no: Reds will be pink, greens will be blue, etc.