What's new

12 point roll cage installation

N

neosilvia

In preparation for the installation of the cage, the itnerior has been stripped. If you ever wonder what your car would look like sans interior trim here it is.

Will post more as the project progresses.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Is that a NASCAR vehicle hanging around in the background? :eek:

...or is it a replica of the main character from the movie 'Cars'... :rotfl:

Reaction score
Lol thats what mine looks like on a daily basis... jus with broken glass added!!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Looks, em...... empty :wack:

Was there carpet under the seats when you removed them?

N

neosilvia

Is that a NASCAR vehicle hanging around in the background? :eek:

...or is it a replica of the main character from the movie 'Cars'... :rotfl:
That's a replica of the main character from Cars.

N

neosilvia

The car had a full stock interior less the stock seats when this started. When its done, the car will have no carpet, no headliner, no trim, no center console etc. Just clean, white painted steel, and a blue roll cage. Only the outer driver and passenger door shells will remain, windows will be removed, front, back and rear side windows will be replaced with plexiglass. The shell of the stock dash will stay for some cosmetic appeal and as a place to mount guages. Seats will get moved back about 4-6 inches from stock placement, gas, clutch & brake pedals will be switched to a floor mounted setup, steering column extended back to a more comfortable driving position for the new seat location.

N

neosilvia

Neosilvia, you may be interested in the thread on the preparation of Driftwork's S15 and the Spec R bracing :)
That things going to be a monster. That has to be one of the more extensive chassis strengthening jobs I have seen yet short of just going to a full tube frame. I think I will keep with my current path. I like the SR20DET and the 12 point cage I am going with will provide more than enough stiffness. I am not building a drift car with this like most of the s15's on the track. This one is going either time attack or USTCC. Drifting is fun, but there is just something about going as fast as your abilities will take you on the track.
Looks like stripped interiors are common place here.

M

mitch

Much hassle getting the dash out? I'll be doing mine on Monday in preparation for the cage, but no 12 point climbing frame for me, as I need to fit wheels into the back:D

D

Derek

Much hassle getting the dash out? I'll be doing mine on Monday in preparation for the cage, but no 12 point climbing frame for me, as I need to fit wheels into the back:D
Routine enough. You'll need a T40 or T50 Safety Torx screw head for Passenger Airbag. Can't remember which one. You going custom cage? Dash dodge or not?

N

neosilvia

I am having the cage built and welded in by a local shop that does custom cages. I saw their work on their own race car last time I was at the track and liked what I was seeing.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Nicely and Ming, have you guys been drifting? Its alot of fun :nod:, one of these days i'll but a 1.5way for track and more drift action :D

M

mitch

Routine enough. You'll need a T40 or T50 Safety Torx screw head for Passenger Airbag. Can't remember which one. You going custom cage? Dash dodge or not?
I'm going to get a bolt in 6 point made up at Fabricage next week. Peter's making one for me and one for Max :cool:.

I don't fancy a dash dodger one, as the car is a daily drifter so I want it to look tidy and be out of the way. If it was going to go round the dash, I wouldn't need to remove it ;)

I'm not going to get into the drift vs race argument. I know which I prefer and think to be more fun and better to watch :D :p

N

neosilvia

No argument from me, drifting is fun and I will never completely give it up, but I don't get the same adrenaline rush as I do pushing for time. Drifting is definitely the better spectator sport.

d.

Reaction score
i'm liking your cage.

do you have any pics of the structure beneath the drivers seat?
- especially the beam that the front of the drivers seat is mounted to?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Didn't say it wasn't. Just not really interested. Have you gone full throttle round a track?
Only once in my car, its was snowing though, so wasnt pushing too hard :D

Have done several trackdays in all kinds of cars, including singles seaters, legends etc, and its awsome fun :thumbs: