What's new

a POP sound n burning smell

E

elmo-S15

Hi.. Just want to know ur opinion.. Is it fine or not.. I've replaceed my stock exhaust with 5zigen 2 1/2'' exhaust.. The sound are great.. The problem is there is a POP sound at the exhaust when i shift my gear, is that fine? And i can smell a burning when i park my car after a run..

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Pop sound is probably due to having a BOV/dump valve fitted to your Silvia which means the car will pop a lot between gear changes etc. Mine does the same :)

Smells of burning? Do you mean more like burnt petrol etc?? This is normal.

E

elmo-S15

Thanks for the reply.. Yeah i fitted ssqv on my s15.. Its not flaming right? yup its petrol smell.. So mine is fine.. Cheers pal

E

elmo-S15

Ok i thought not enough air flowing through the exhaust producing a pop.. I havent try it off the limiter.. i'll try someday.. I just plum it back.. What do u mean doesnt make sense?

G

Giff

The S15 has a Mass Airflow Meter, it measures the amount of air coming in to the system and adjusts the fuelling to suit, a VTA BOV lets some of that air escape from the system so while the ECU is fuelling for the full amount the engine only receives a smaller amount, the result is the air/fuel mixture becomes very rich, you get all sorts of pops in the exhaust as unburnt fuel is dumped in to it and the car runs like a pig.

E

elmo-S15

I dont know about that.. So its not fine if the car run likes a pig? Yeah i think the sizes is too small and not enough air flow for the turbo car.. But the seller said its suits for 2.0cc cars.. I'll check again at the shop

Reaction score
Only happens when you come off the throttle, so it's not a big issue IMO.
And how often does that happen in street driving. I VTA'd and my fuel economy when down hill, the plugs fouled up and if I let it go further I would have stuffed the O2 sensor and my Cat.