What's new

Bit worried

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
I've had the boost turned up but also upgraded fuel pump, apexi ecu, nismo 550 injectors, HKS FMIC, HKS oil cooler, oil filter relocation, defi gauges for oil pressure and temp along with boost and water temp. I also had the afm removed and something else put in its place in place on the plenum chamber.

Anyhow, I took it for a spirited drive on sunday and my water temp was fluctuating between 70 and 90 c and the standard temp needle was going towards the red but then back to half way. Oil temp was around 70 c at normal driving but hit 120 and then back to 110. I put in half a litre of oil and it came back to 80. Problem was there is a coolant leak aroun the turbo area but the rad was stone cold yet the pipes going to the head were both hot (touchable).

I just had the work done to the car and was wondering if my rad would block or could an air lock cause it as the filler tank didnt move when I topped it up. My worry is that there could be a leak on the turbo side allowing oil out and water. Not sure. Car drives and pulls cleanly except when oil temp was aroun 120, it didnt want to idle as the oil pressure fell toaround 1 bar. What are the tolerances, I know it will vary with oil thickness. Thanks, if it makes sense! Keith

Last edited:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
The leak could be a cracked water pipe to the turbo.
What kind of work was made to the car?

There should be a small screw on the left hand side (seeing from the driver seat) radiator steel pipe from the top which should evacuate air from the system.

Maybe a stuffed thermostat?
1 bar of oil pressure is pretty low when idle. If the revs dropped the oil pressure would too. But if you had a stable idle and the oil pressure was about 1 bar I think it's too low.

Reaction score
My thermostat went... was constantly over heating!!!
Also had a cracked water pipe! U'l be suprised how much water you loose from that pipe with a little crack!

If you know the pipe is leaking get it changed... still doesnt solve it... try sumthing else!

Whos car was it???

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Its in the garage now, there was a new stat put in when I had a little work done. The idle was eratic which I assumed would cause low oil pressure. With Solkolene pro s 10w 50 I was getting about 1.8 bar at 850ish rpm. I read on here about the pipe near the turbo after I posted so I think thats it, just assumed that air locks would eventually work there way out of the system.

The thing that worries me is the fluctuation of the oil temp by 20 degrees when the oil level is fine and the car still pulls really well. Maybe its a faulty stat on the oil cooler if theres one on there.

Thanks for info, shall let you know what the outcome is.

S15_Spec_R

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
The garage is saying its a cracked stat housing, a hairline one. They changed the stat in the car when I had the work done a couple of weeks ago, I assume they would have had to have taken the stat housing off to do this hence the name "stat housing"?

Would a hairline crack cause such an air lock?
If the cooling system is all running well will this mean that the oil temps will become stable?

Ta, Keith