What's new

Camber Adjustment

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I now have, as of today received rear upper arms!! let the adjustment begin :)

Having never changed these before. Is the main problem in fitting these the length of time it takes to remove the stock ones??

Reaction score
Cool, did you go for the Apex ones??
Before you take the OEM off, hold the new one up next to it and try and get it roughtly the same length, makes it safer to drive to the allignment place to get it done properly!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Shouldn't take long. Just a case of unbolting the old ones and putting the new ones one I have thought....

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
channie said:
Cool, did you go for the Apex ones??
Before you take the OEM off, hold the new one up next to it and try and get it roughtly the same length, makes it safer to drive to the allignment place to get it done properly!
No mate, they didnt have any in stock, got some used ones from a guy on SXOC, few stone chips but nothing serious :)

Do i use to old bolts through the new arms?? Not really sure how there fixed.

I will do as you have said, but is there now way of improving it slightly before setup?? Or is this just wasting my time and get it setup properly. the reason i ask is, my camber issue is quite bad at the moment, i'll be fitting the arms tonight which leave me tomorrow to get it setup, but of course i'll be at work, then on Saturday i have a trackday......................

So basically i have left it to late and am trying to do the best i can. Any ideas for meantime untill i can get it setup??

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Look at it this way. Your camber is currently appalling? So, even fitting the arms and adjusting the camber by eye is going to be a vast improvement... :nod:

Reaction score
If yours adjust like mine do??? if your car has alot of neg camber at the mo, then before you put them on line them up with the original, then slightly extend them past that length this should make the camber less negative. From memory i have mine about -2.

I posted this on the SXOC a week ago;

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=191255

Go down the thread and there are some pics of my kit on and off the car, unfortunately i didnt fit them myself (Weve been having lame weather!), since then i have fitted new coilovers and they look like a doddle to put on!
As you can see fron the pics mine came with new bolts to attach to the brake hub, but on the other end they re used the original bolts.
One thing i would recomend is getting a breaker bar! As long as possible, and a DECENT socket think it was a 17, 19, or 21. This makes the job a whole lot easier...
But defo look at the thread above, the pictures will help alot, shows you before and after!
I'm at work at the mo, but got all the forums up alday so if you have any more q's post or PM me!

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You shouldn't really do car mechanics unless you have the sockets that I can never remember the name of. :eek: The ones which grip the straights on bolts, rather than the corners. :nod:

M

Meddy

channie said:
If yours adjust like mine do??? if your car has alot of neg camber at the mo, then before you put them on line them up with the original, then slightly extend them past that length this should make the camber less negative. From memory i have mine about -2.
Do you mean you have yours at -2 degrees since being set up? If so thats way way too much negative camber. Id say you'll have tyre wear problems pretty quickly. :nod:

Reaction score
Just checked, -2 at rear and -2.3 at front. Would be getting some uneven wear, but mine is extremely low, still running standard rims, but 50mm profile falkens, got about 2mm clearance from arch to top of tyre at rear. The front is looking high but im still running in the front shocks, so didnt want them to drop onto tyres, probaly get it sorted 2moz morning, gotta drop it atleast 4cm!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
channie said:

I posted this on the SXOC a week ago;

http://www.sxoc.com/vbb/showthread.php?t=191255

Go down the thread and there are some pics of my kit on and off the car, unfortunately i didnt fit them myself (Weve been having lame weather!), since then i have fitted new coilovers and they look like a doddle to put on!As you can see fron the pics mine came with new bolts to attach to the brake hub, but on the other end they re used the original bolts.
I do have alot of Neg camber :nod: Gonna have a go tonight at fitting mine, although i can see a problem already, the new ones i have didnt come with bolts at the end like yours did :( : -

/\ /\ /\ Those are yous by the way :p
channie said:
One thing i would recomend is getting a breaker bar! As long as possible, and a DECENT socket think it was a 17, 19, or 21. This makes the job a whole lot easier...
But defo look at the thread above, the pictures will help alot, shows you before and after!
I'm at work at the mo, but got all the forums up alday so if you have any more q's post or PM me!
They are 17's IIRC, will oil it up and use some brut force me thinks :D .

Going to also extend them past the original a little and see how it sits, will prob use a vertical spirit level to help.

Cheers for the coments guys, will let you know how i get on tomorrow :thumbs:

Reaction score
Hmmm, from the looks of things it shouldnt be a problem, this is the before shot of mine...

As you can see, provided you dont kill the nut and bolt getting it off (A common problem with using brute force :nod:)! You should be able to re-use the existing bolt and nut.
I really do recommend using a breaker bar and a decent socket, coz if yours are on as tight as mine they are a pain to get off and if you bugger the nut or bolt you'll have to find a new one before saturday!

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Which would be a problem :nod:

I'll try and get hold of a breaker bar, but can see that being a problem too :rolleyes:

Also if thats where your coilovers sit, mine is adjusted lower, but hoping to raise it too :thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You'll have found out by the time you read this that you can reuse the existing bolts. :)

If you're ever stuck for a breaker bar, a nice long narrow piece of pipe slotted over your socket works just as well. :)

Reaction score
My coilovers were knackered, i'l post some of my new ones, they sit alot higher!
Dare i say it but Halfords are open till 8 during the week, and there professional range is very good quaility (Never thought i would use Halfords and Quality in the same sentence!) I paid ?18 for mine, but comes with a life time guarantee! It breaks there getting it back! If you buy sockets from there, only buy the pro ones as well, coz they have the same guarantee...

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Well gusy there on :thumbs:

I'll get pics up later, but they went on very easily :nod: , i drove round past the garage who does all the work on our companies cars and borrowed a breaker bar, i tried to loosen the bolts without this but it was never going to happen :no:, yet with the breaker was a peice of ken fit i mean really :D

Do you guys know if it is possible to adjust the camber with the arms fitted to the car, as i havent adjusted them nearly enough :rolleyes:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
:rolleyes: Jeez...

Luckily I've been able to check the Cusco ones under the desk. :D Yes, they should adjust in-situ.. The two end nuts are locking. The middle one adjusts the barrell length.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Thats what i was hoping, so if unlock the locking nut at the end and the base of the threaded parts, the middle should adjust outwards....... is that correct??

Drawing time :wave: -