What's new

Car won't rev past 4,500 in any form? Advice please

B

bazgtr

Have just brought back a S15 from the port after the sva.

Car drove home with no problems, But will not go past 4,500 revs in any gear and acts like it's hitting the rev limiter. If I park the car up and rev to that limit the same problem exists.

I can drive to the speed limiter of 112mph and then gets out, But only if I keep the revs below 4,500.

The car seems completely standard and was wondering if there is a way of changing the rev limit on these cars by some other means. To check if it's been set low when in Japan.

Any help would be grateful.

Thanks

Baz.

B

bazgtr

Will have look in morning,but was bought as stating standard car.

Please explain what to do if ecu is standard or aftermarket in your reply to my question.

Thanks

Reaction score
Check to make sure the MAF is not unplugged. Also check for any slack intercooler pipes.

B

bazgtr

Plugged in a Nissan consult and nothing found wrong with car.

The car is totally standard with no mods.

The car will rev to 7000rpm limilt and hit the limiter when car at idle.

Once driving the car won't go past 4500rpm when driving in any gear and limits out at 4,500rpm.

Any more ideas? Is it something with the boost kicking and then causing the limiter to go to 4,500rpm.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Strange. Definetly sounds like the ECU is in limp home mode.
Have you checked the IC piping if any is loose?
Maybe change the spark plugs?

B

bazgtr

Changed plug and checked ic piping, All OK and still problem there.

Replugged in Nissan consult but still showing all OK. No warning lights on dash. Have got a new MAF to fit in morning to try.

If it's in limp home mode where can I override or reset to normal mode. They may have done something at the SVA last week.

J

jdm-yo!

Recently had the same problem with my feshly imported S15 spec R

After alot of pissing around, it was the speedo conversion wired incorrectly :annoyed:

Taken it out and she's fine, Just take the clocks out, snip the 5 wires to the chip and join 2 for the clock and it should be fine!

Your clocks will read in KMH but at least it will rev!

:thumbs:

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
You might want to get it re-wired properly, if that's the case :nod: You'll be back on a 180km/h (112mph) limit again (which shouldn't really be a problem ;) ) and it'll completely screw-up knowing what mileage the car's done if it had the odo re-calibrated :(

B

bazgtr

ALL DONE AND SORTED.:thumbs::thumbs::thumbs:

After spending a few hours with the car and not getting chance to read the last but one thread about the speedo convertor was the problem.

Found out that they have fitted the wrong speedo convertor and also never had a wire reconnecting the ECU feed to the loom on the back of the dash, They just split the ECU wire run one to the convertor box, But have no wire from the convertor box back to the dash for the ECU to get a reading.

Reconnected the old wires and gone back to KMP for know. Have now ordered the right convertor and waiting for it to arrive.

It now has a 7000RPM limit:D

Thanks for all your time and effort.:wave:

B

bazgtr

Recently had the same problem with my feshly imported S15 spec R

After alot of pissing around, it was the speedo conversion wired incorrectly :annoyed:

Taken it out and she's fine, Just take the clocks out, snip the 5 wires to the chip and join 2 for the clock and it should be fine!

Your clocks will read in KMH but at least it will rev!

:thumbs:

Same problem here, S15 spec R(Silver) new import. Wish you replied earlier would have saved me about five hours checking everything out. Got there in the end.

B

bazgtr

Who the heck fitted that? :eek:

A1 motor auctions in Southampton, It was the first one I think they've done on a S15.

Car now sorted and very clean, So very happy with in all. No faults showing on the Nissan consult and drives well and revs to the set limit of 7000RPM.

Just waiting for the DVLA for the number plate and off we go.

Reaction score
i was thinkin' alot earlier in this thread... surely there shouldn't be a speed limiter after SVA, cause this is removed when converted to MPH.

Glad it's sorted though! :)