What's new

Coilover fitting

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
When fitting coilovers (or any suspension really), do you guys put any kind of silicone around the top of the strut to seal it from weather etc?

Any other precautions i should be taking while swaping over coilovers? I know to: -

1) Adjust the pre-loud setting
2) Adjust height to same as current coilovers
3) Get alignment done once settled

Anything else?

Cheers :)

Reaction score
I always tend to put some grease on metal to metal contact, when installing suspension parts. Just in case it makes any annoying noise and prevent rust.

CAn I also ask if anyone has fitted a front strut brace on S15, do you take the metal bracing off thats already on the top of strut on stadard s15.

D

Derek

I always tend to put some grease on metal to metal contact, when installing suspension parts. Just in case it makes any annoying noise and prevent rust.

CAn I also ask if anyone has fitted a front strut brace on S15, do you take the metal bracing off thats already on the top of strut on stadard s15.
I took both off. Front and rear. It doesn't make any difference some leave them on some take them off. They are there to strenghten the top mount.

K

kieran

cover the threads on the shock part itself with copper slip to stop the locking collars seizing.

have some spacers to hand incase of clearence issues witht the wheels and the lower collars

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I already have coilovers, so should (fingers crossed) have any clearance issues.

I coated the top of the rear struts with copper grease, will do the threads tomorrow, got the fronts to fit tomorrow aswel :thumbs:

K

kieran

clearance issues will differ between different makes of suspenion, different offset wheels and wheel widths you could play about with how the strut bolts to the hub by pulling the shock towards you with the bolts undone then doing the blots up to give little better clearance then adjust the camber from the top plate? hth if you do have issues

S

sillbeers15

I would rather leave the threads alone, cause anything stuff coated can stick dirt and sand. When you next turn on the height adjustment collars....ek!

J

j@garagemac

never use wet lube on the shock body threads as it only cause grit to stick to it
i use GT85 with ptfe in it and just make sure you just wire brush them befor you try to adjust them

kind regards jamie

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I spoke to a biker mate of mine, he said he and his mate used WD40 on the threaded parts of their suspension. but i guess that will just hold in dirt/grit etc too.

Jamie - Whats GT85?

Kieran - I shouldnt have issues,t he teins that came off and much wdier/thicker than the Apex's that have gone on, but i did forget to check, will do that tonight :thumbs: (havent driven the car yet with them on, so it safe :thumbs:)