What's new

diff oil

sushiming

🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
redline shock proof heavy stuff cant remember the proper name but thats what i use:thumbs:
and shock proof lgith for ur gear box

Reaction score
Country
I use motul gear300 for my gearbox. Cant be happier with what the car originally came with. Now going to try gear300 on my lsd.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I use motul gear300 for my gearbox. Cant be happier with what the car originally came with. Now going to try gear300 on my lsd.
I've got motul Gear300 in my box too :)
I'll put in some Motul 90PA in the diff soon.

P

Paul-S15R

Guys how much oil is needed for the diff and tranny? What viscousity do you use?

T

TonyS15

I have just ordered mine now. Nicely recommended Redline Lightweight Shockproof Gearoil in the Gearbox, i ordered 3 Quarts which is just less than 3 litres 998ml per quart i think.

Also ordered 2 quart of Redline heavyweight shockproof gearoil for the diff.

Think viscosity is something like 75w-90???

T

TonyS15

Sorry dont mean to hijack the thread but whilst on the subject of oil, i was wanting to put a filtermag on the filter.....but trying to find the sizes. Does anyone know the size of the filter?

Is it a) 63-70mm
b) 70-87mm
or
c) 87-99mm

Phone a friend, Ask the audience or 50:50...........:D

Also does anyone use a mag on the gearbox plug?

http://www.blue-diamond.co.uk/shop/index.html?target=dept_1.html

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Helical Diff
1.2-1.4 litres

Viscous Diff
1.7-1.8 litres

The workshop manual recommends Helical diff oil be changed every 40000 km/24 miles or every 24 months. I says the Viscous oil just needs inspecting regularly, but I'd recommend the same as the Helical.

6MT gearbox
1.8 litres (overfilling to 2 litres from the top will give a smoother gear change)

5MT gearbox
2.4 litres

4AT gearbox

7.9 litres

The manual also says to inspect and change if necessary for the gearbox. I'd say change at the same time as the diff :)

Just get a Nissan filter :) Its fairly cheap and good.

The drain plug key is 13mm

L

lj~R

Helical Diff
1.2-1.4 litres

Viscous Diff
1.7-1.8 litres

The workshop manual recommends Helical diff oil be changed every 40000 km/24 miles or every 24 months. I says the Viscous oil just needs inspecting regularly, but I'd recommend the same as the Helical.

6MT gearbox
1.8 litres (overfilling to 2 litres from the top will give a smoother gear change)

5MT gearbox
2.4 litres

4AT gearbox

7.9 litres

The manual also says to inspect and change if necessary for the gearbox. I'd say change at the same time as the diff :)

Just get a Nissan filter :) Its fairly cheap and good.

The drain plug key is 13mm
To Nicely
About the "6MT gearbox
just wondeing how do you overfilling your gearbox? I want to make more smoother...
thanks

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Fill from the gear shift cover (which is easier and quicker anyway). You will need a 12mm flexi-necked ratchet spanner to undo the bolts :) I'd also recommend extending the gearbox breather slightly by sticking on a hose from the breather end and hooking it over the brake lines on the firewall :)

S

S1Five

can i just confirm the Motul 300 is perfectly fine to put into the diff of a helical lsd?

motul 300 = the gearbox oil im currently using

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
True. But that's the case with most aftermarket things :) For the 90% who don't run an aftermarket diff, its true ;)

Reaction score
and specifics weren't given! lol statement weren't given saying "i use this in my...." lol :)

are both the gearbox and diff a 13mm key? so basically, a 1/2" wrench?