What's new

Emigrating to somewhere better than the UK

Reaction score
Country
This isn’t something I’m thinking about seriously doing however it crossed my mind earlier and thought I’d look into it. This is because I am looking at buying a house in the not so distant future and find it somewhat sickening at the amount of house you can get for your money in other country’s! Also not to mention how crap this country has become in recent years... Dont get me wrong there is some very nice places to live over here but they really do cost a lot of money and in todays world its hard for first time buyers to even get on the property ladder let alone live somewhere picturesque.

One of the things I find appealing is land! In America for example (depending where you live) in a lot of the suburban areas you get a lot of land with your house, sometimes having really big gardens and driveways to play with! Over here you struggle to get a house on a bit of land and if you do again its £££

It seems like it’s very very hard for the average person to move to America, Australia, and Canada without having either family there, marrying someone, or having a skilled job. All 3 require you to get a visa and that in itself seems quite a challenge! You need to have a skilled job really or have an employer out there to sponsor you.

What I find frustrating though is how can the average person like me who works in an office get given the chance to move to one of these places? For a laugh I did the points test for Canada and I failed, didn’t have enough points to even apply for visa, maybe I should learn French? :p

So anyway has anyone else looked into doing this? What have you found out?

Mike

Reaction score
Country
Know where your coming from mate, saving for a house also and few mates have them already. Im currently having a serious struggle to get alot of them to go paintballing for my 25th birthday as they claim not to be able to afford it as they're financially crippled!

Never looked into it as far as you have, but has always interested me, loving snowboarding, ice hockey etc canada always appealed. I know a few people at work that have contracted with airlines over in various places but never asked in detail. I do have family in Long Island NY and they're crazy rich from what i hear so should probably think about it! ha!

Where would you be looking to go?

And you have a link to the canada point test do-da?

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Sorry to say, but I got in. I suppose it is because I have been doing what they classify as a skilled job for 20+ years and I speak english, not text speak :p

Reaction score
Country
I dont understand why they even have a shortage of so many skilled workers?

I mean say they need electricians (just for an example)...dont they have colleges out there and people who want to do those jobs? Does everyone want to do the same job or something?

How can places such as Canada and Australia which are so much bigger than the UK need so many skilled workers?

Crazy :|

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
We actually have a skills shortage here at the moment due to the mining boom. A lot of people have gone to the mines in search on big $$$. The other thing is that a lot of gen y's don't want to do trades. They all want to go to uni, get a job where they sit at a desk and do nothing and make more money than anyone else. (That pretty much explains a CEO)

Reaction score
Country
Sorry to say, but I got in. I suppose it is because I have been doing what they classify as a skilled job for 20+ years and I speak english, not text speak :p
This whole time i thought you were a OZy ......... well thats much better :)

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
LOL. This thread is going downhill!

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Reaction score
Country
No, but I have a few close Kiwi mates and have had a couple of Kiwi's working for me, so Iv'e learnt Kiwi speak :D
have they taught you how to say "year nar" which translated means " I understand and agree with what you are saying but the answer is no"

Reaction score
have they taught you how to say "year nar" which translated means " I understand and agree with what you are saying but the answer is no"
I used to get "all good" or "as good as" which translated means I hear you but i'll f*** it up anyway.