What's new

Fruitbooter's S15 Spec R

Reaction score
Country
Its been a while since I have updated this thread!

My MOT is up and it will need new discs and pads in order to pass...I thought id quite like to upgrade so was on the look out for K-Sports or R33 bremobs..

K-Sports never came up and R33 brembos were always way to much so thought it go a different route. :nod:

Evo 8 brembos -

I managed to find some online in great condition, gave them a clean and they were ready to go.

I got the fitting kit from db-power which comes with massive 345mm discs

They are bigger than my cat lol

Old nasty brakes -

Off!

hmmmmm..

I started to assemble the calipers -

I used some copper grease along the edges as I read online this is good for reducing brake squeel..

The discs wouldnt fit on without removing or modding the dust plate, I did this as I really didnt wanna take the hub and everything off -

Fitted..

Now im not sure if i have done something wrong or this is normal but when the wheel is on you cant turn the wheel..i think its down to the pads being that new and tight it wont let the disc turn. So im hoping after a drive this will be fine?

I also managed to round the passenger side brake union even though i was using a brake line spanner???

So now i need to sort that..im not sure the best way to go about it tbh im hoping you can just cut this union off and whack a new one on above it, then the new braided lines will screw in and itl be fine..either that or get a whole new line made up...

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
I kinda wish I had gone for the Bigger discs but I got yellow stuff and 6 groovrotors for less than half what it would have cost for the bigger set up!
Awesome set up though evo calipers are class. Do the red stuff had the anti squeel shims built in too?
Looks good though mate sure you will be more than happy with it !

Reaction score
Country
I think they do if thats what the black part of the pad is...maybe i should take out the evo shims as this may be why its too tight? Somethings not right anyway as when the wheel is on and tight it wont budge!

Reaction score
Country
Instagram
@Peglio13
Yeah probably is what's wrong then mate when I fitted mine I removed the standard shims as the black part on the pad was a built in shim

S15_SAM

NisSam
Reaction score
Country
Hmm I've had that problem on a tvr where the caliper bracket shims\washers were too big causing the caliper to touch the disc on the inside. The shouldn't be completely tight, you want the pads to be as free as possible. I would also check the offset of the discs make sure they are not skyline ones!

I find unless you use snap on brake pipe spanners, then most of them are useless! Even then I'm not a fan, I use mole grips to undo the pipes, if they are too tight and I imagine that's what you'll have to do!
Unfortunately if its the original pipe then it's not gonna be easy to chop it off as its steel and you'll need a special flaring tool to create the mushroom effect.
I would try using mole grips to undo it and then try using mole grips to do it back up, there's not many other quick ways! Otherwise you could be looking at making a new complete pipe with ends.

Reaction score
Country
Think ive figured it out actually..

Ive seen on the net some people have to grind down the calipers with some brackets..

Ive just checked the caliper ive got in here and the bracket and it doesnt sit flush as it rests ont he groove, so what im thinking is the one fitted to the car will have a small 5mm or so gap due to this and when the wheel is on and tight it must be moving the calipers position slightly crooked causing the disc to be forced against one of the pads...

I guess i will have to do some more grinding..

Last edited:
Reaction score
Country
Brakes are all on and done now, only thing left to do it give them a bleed which I will do next week all being well.

Went to the local motor factors today and got a new line made up -

Fitted that into place nice and simple..

Then attacked the rear

Only using some crappy discs and pads as I plan on going Z32 at some point..this is just tempory..

Rears were quite 'used'

Reaction score
Its been a while since I have updated this thread!

My MOT is up and it will need new discs and pads in order to pass...I thought id quite like to upgrade so was on the look out for K-Sports or R33 bremobs..

K-Sports never came up and R33 brembos were always way to much so thought it go a different route. :nod:

Evo 8 brembos -

I managed to find some online in great condition, gave them a clean and they were ready to go.

I got the fitting kit from db-power which comes with massive 345mm discs

Nice, just wondering are they much thicker than standard Callipers?
there is like a 2mm gap between my calliper and wheel spoke? i dont think i have many options as far as a bigger break setup goes without using a spacer and i dont want to push my wheel out further im struggling to squeeze the wheels under +30mm wings already,

Reaction score
Country
Today I had the great pleasure of changing my cv boot :D

Oh what a lovely job...

The annoying thing is though...I ordered the boot listed for the S15 yet the S15 boot was different!

Its not your normal circular joint so the boot I got wouldnt fit..

Genius idea -

Chop end off

Ta daa

Hopefully it will hold...

Oh and I hate circlips so much! Tried to put them on without circlip pliers but in the end I had to go to the shop and buy 2 jubilee clips..

Reaction score
Country
Yesterday I bled all the brakes, took a lot of bleeding as I basically did a full system flush with new fluid and also the evo calipers were completely dry plus they have 2 bleed nipples each lol...hard work i tell you!

They seem fine tbh, nice pedal feel but I will bleed them again in due course to get out any remaining trapped air that has decided to surface since.

MOT in the next week or so along with tax and insurance, its going to be an expensive November... also got a few crappy jobs to sort first like horn and cat...

Then this car is crying out for a maga detail...I wanna get myself a machine polisher :D

Reaction score
Country
Nice job mate, I've had my Brembo's sitting in a box for a year now, really must get them done, think your work is spuring me on :)

Shame you're not a bit closer to Sussex otherwise you could have borrowed my polishers, I've got a DAS6 Pro Dual Action and a 3M rotary with all the pads and polishes, even the IPA wipe down gear... Definately worth getting one, i'd start with a DA first get to used to it, I got a lot of my stuff from 'Cleanyourcar.com'..

If you get it detailed professionaly the best guy i've seen and i've been into detailing for a long time now is Jim White at Whitedetails.co.uk, probably not to far from you..