What's new

Fruitbooter's S15 Spec R

Reaction score
Country
Did some more on the car Wednesday, there was still a few things left to remove before I can prep the underside.

I removed the weird shaped brace that goes under the prop, removed the prop and all the heat shields -

I was still debating weather or not to go the extra mile and drop the tank...:rolleyes:

In the end I thought why not! Do the job properly :D

Started by removing cover followed by the hose clamps and brackets on the filler neck -

I thought it would be best to detach the hoses from the filler neck and then pull them down with the tank as you cant get to the clip at the tank side -

I then supported the tank so it could be lowered down easier, I wasn't sure how heavy it was going to be as its still got about 1/4 of a tank of super! so thought this would be best.

I then removed the tank strap bolts and the tank began to lower...it got to a point and then wouldn't drop any more, I thought great its going to be the bloody fuel pump wires isn't it... I thought that you could unclip them from underneath but you couldn't so I removed the back seats hoping to gain access to the top of the pump....nothing! Its in the bloody boot lol! :annoyed:

So I removed the plugs and dropped the tank!

Fuel lines off - (Must remember which ones goes where, but they are positioned in a way that makes it obvious, still I put some tape around the red one)

Its starting to look less like a car now :D

Its exactly how I was hoping...nice and spotless under the tank :nod:

As you can see in the piks, the area that needs the most work is the box sections of the chassis and up by the wheel arch.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Nice work mate. Are you going to be using the car all year round when the work is done?

Reaction score
Country
Yeh thats the plan until I can afford a run about, with the amount of protection its going to get it should be fine really as long as the underside is given a rinse when the car is washed etc.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
looks good mate - you wont want to drive it in crap weather when you're done - its too much hard work to put in.... all s15's seem to rust where the fuel tank rubs against the body as you can see where those little lugs are for the tank to locate - when i re-fit the tank i used some self adhesive foam rubber on the marked areas on the tank so that it doesnt happen again :)

Reaction score
Country
Great idea there Dean :nod:

I know tbh once its all nice and clean underneath ill feel bad for driving it in the rain but until I have a run about I dont have a choice...and im getting fed up of the bus now :p

Reaction score
Country
Hopefuly going to do some more on the car the weekend, im not sure weather to just finish it off underneath and remove the fuel and brake lines? Or just the fuel lines...

I dont know if I want to start messing with brake lines and removing them case I run into problems at a later date? :rolleyes:

How hard is it to remove the fuel and brake lines as I think thats all thats left underneath now.

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
it's easy to remove the fuel lines mate, a few 10mm bolts hold the retaining clips on and then it's just a case of disconnecting the ends at the fuel regulator and fuel filter. the brake line is just a single 10mm fitting to undo underneath the fuel filter.....

Reaction score
Country
Oh that sounds okay, yeh I guess its more of the fact I dont want to end up having to bleed the system if I remove the lines as I can never seem to do it right! Spose itl do it some good though.

Reaction score
Country
Okay so ive had the worst day working on the S15 ever!

Started off by removing the rear bumper, this took the piss as the stupid japanese clips at the top and bottom dont seem to want to come out?

Next job was to remove the brake and fuel lines...

This is where it all went to piss!

The screw which holts this t piece got rounded off fairly quickly...and so did all the other connections

This was due to using a normal 10mm as apposed to a 10mm flared spanner I think...

But yeh anyway I thought everything was messed up then and there was no way of removing any of the connections, I managed to undoo the passenger side connection so I just cut the brake line on the driver side so they could drop and used a saw to get the rounded screw off!

Much later I managed to remove the other end of the lines...I really didnt know how to go about this easily and the only way I could see possible was to remove the lines from filter and then seperate the hose next to it?

Got them off -

But im left with this now...

Reaction score
Country

I need to make up a new brake line for the rear with new t piece and all new connections...im going to make a help thread about this so if you have any advice please let me know.

I really hate this now and wish I hadnt started.

Its all clear now and ready for prep work.

Gave it a quick wash -

Does anyone know what this line is for?

Cant remember now and cant figure out where it connects to?

One good thing was my Bilt Hamber order turned up..shame they sent me a Dynax UB instead of S50 though

Got some Tiger Seal for the seams to -

Thats enough for today, and now I officially hate this car

S

S15 SILVIA

Fair play mate. Lot of work involved there!
What's the plan with the strip down?

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I had that feeling on several occasions but it is 100% worth it in the end. You can't really stop now anyway, so better plod on!! ;)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
might be a vent line

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country

^^^ isn't this the line that vents to atmos but comes from the carbon canister setup? Where does it run to assuming it goes back to engine bay area? My money's on the carbon canister which you can ditch and just ensure the hard pipes (underneath the black canister and connected together ;)

Looking good Jay - stick with it... will be worth it I'm sure!! :thumbs:

Reaction score
Country
Yeh I checked the other day and it does go to the canister :nod:

Whats the purpose of the canister then does it just get rid of some fumes? If I removed it could that mess with emissions as ive got my MOT int he summer :(

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Jap emissions thing... The way I look at it it's like a complete friggin' mystery and probably cost Nissan sh*t loads to implement but WTF was the benefit lol??? :wack:

No way will that interfere with your UK exhaust emissions so don't worry about it dude :)

DeanS15

Reaction score
Country
i've done away with the canister, but left the vent line in as no-one could explain the consequence of doing away with it......

S

S15 SILVIA

Surely it would be worth getting rid of the pipe if your removing the canister, Think of all the weight you will save. :wack:
Got to worth about 10bhp that! :D