What's new

getting a new S15 turbo, what should i look for to make sure everything is all good.

Reaction score
Country
Im finally upgrading from a NA S15 to a proper one, everything seamed OK on the car when i checked it over and test drove it, as far as i know.

Can you guys who have had them and had problems please let me know of things i should check once i get it home to ensure everything is working as it should.

Only mods are Zeal Coilovers, basic FMIC, BNR32 front brakes + braided lines & some type of rear muffler.

The engine is stock as far as i know.

Reaction score
Country
Got it home, on the way back i noticed it dident like boosting in 1st 2nd or 3rd, found that a number of the hoses after the AFM were loose, and now it boosts in low gears, however it still has the factory gauge and it only says its getting up to 6psi, im going to get a better gauge as i have read on here that the factory one is pretty crap,

She also got really hot on the straight next to where i live and the temp shot right up. parked it up cooled it down, had a look under and the rad is the same part number as my spec s??? thought they were thicker. or has someone just put a good rad in and removed it before selling, putting a basic one in, im guessing it was also starved of air by the FMIC, the under tray guard is also missing, im guessing this is because the FMIC is in its way.

I will post pics soon,

My garage looks mean with two blue S15's parked up :)

sniffy

Reaction score
Country
Up grade the rtad to a thicker aluminum one and it should sort out the over heating mine used to do that when I first got it and a new rad sorted it.

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
The stock boost gauge is find untill you fit a boost controller then you will need to change it as I am sure the stock gauge only goes to 1bar so untill you do that I would just leave it in there unless you find a Defi going cheap,

You right about the undertray missing this is because of a the FMIC being there, also the Rad is just a stock unit they dont change between the S14 S14a S15 spec S and Spec R they are all the same set up :) as Sniffy said a thinker one from either Japspeed or Apex will do you fine go on SXOC as they are both running group buys on them, works out about £220ish delivered with a twin fan set up and controller :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
what's the temperature like over there then mate? even when i had a standard rad, in summer driving normally the car would never overheat, i only fitted an alloy one once i started tuning....

Reaction score
Country
im looking at alloy rads at the mo, the temp over here is averaging 27C, i think it was about that when it got hot, im going to pull the thermostat out and give it a boil up just to test it anyway. Are you sure the NA have the same rad as the Turbo???

Reaction score
Country
I opened the cap and drained it to replace the coolant, i noticed there's a bit of rust in the cores, so im guessing that there's going to be a number of blocked ones, that wont help

Reaction score
Country
Hey spoonman. I think i looked at buying this same car a couple of weeks ago and took it for a drive. Had the guy had a allignment done on it before you bought it? when i drove it it had a very violent shake while braking which i assumed was just the wheel alignment but what had me worried was that it would get the wobbles everytime you camme of acceleration? just wondering wether that was the allignment aswell or something more serious?

Reaction score
Country
The buyer said it needs a alignment done, which must of been after you told him that. Ru was his name, Blue one with blue gtr calipers ( painted blue ) it has a wobble but only under hard braking, which is the disks, need skimming. I have got replacement rods and arms to go in to correct and alignment issues.

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
sounds like you've got a good plan there mate, thing is, even if the discs aren't warped, the other thing that would cause this is worn bushes on the front tension rod but you're changing that anyway :)

Reaction score
Country
yeah Ruanui thats the guy. Sounds like youve got everything worked out then lol. Enjoy your new car =)