What's new

Guide - How do change S15 cv boot (Move to useful threads please)

Reaction score
Country
Thought I would do a quick guide as although it is a straight forward job it is always good to have a reference.

First you need to purchase a replacement boot kit, if you can get one with a fitting cone it will make it much easier to fit.

(Also try and buy an S15 specific boot as if you scroll down you will see why, I did purchase one listed for an S15 but it wasnt correct)

Next you need to get acces to the joint, you can either undo the shaft at the diff flanges and pull it down and out or you can remove the hub.

Remove the hub nut and begin dismantling brake discs, calipers, control arms and roll bar.

This gives you nice easy access.

Next you need to remove the old cv boot and clean off the old grease.

Place the cone on the cv joint and turn the new boot inside out.

Lube up the cone and the boot, atf fluid is meant to be good to use but i used cooking oil :cool:

Push the boot up the cone and over the joint.

Once its over you can turn it back out.

Next you need to clamp the small end to the shaft and fill with new grease.

If you buy a universal boot it wont fit the s15 shaft withouth a bit of genius modding as it is not a normal circular shape so the boot wouldnt clamp down.

Cut the end off the old boot -

Put onto the cv joint so new boot has something to clamp on to.

Pull the new boot onto the cv joint and clamp down.

Job done :)

Reaction score
Country
Nice guide mate! :)
I've got a bit of a 'mid tone whine' noise from somewhere when i hit 50mph. sounds like a 'woo wooo woooo' kind of whine. haha. dont think its a wheel bearing as there is no play or squeeling. could it be something like this?

Reaction score
Country
Not sure mate tbh could even be gearbox related?...a worn cv joint usually gives a knocking / clicking sound, normally when stationary and pulling off.

Best bet is jack car up and have a look and play..

My car makes a lot of strange noises...I think its part of owning a silvia. :nod:

Reaction score
Country
why didn't you just take the shaft out? instead of removing the entire corner and disconnecting the brake caliper.less rolling around the floor aswell!!

Reaction score
Country
Because I wanted to put it on using the cone so wanted the shaft still attached so I could push against it..

Also I don't like undoing the shaft / diff flange nuts as I almost rounded them before as they are a right pain and made of chocolate..