What's new

head unit choices

Reaction score
Website
www.coordsport.com
Need your opinion please guys,

i've uprated my speakers to infinitys and i'm now looking at a new headunit,
as the 1 in my car is a crappy panasonic.
i've got my eye on a kenwood or clarion ...what do you guys recommend ?
everyone keeps telling me to get alpine,i know they are good but look a little old fashioned.

kimi x

D

Derek

Alpine are best one of the best on market. Not best looking at times. I like Sony and have always had them. Pioneer are good if ur on a budget.

P

paulphot

I have had Pioneer, Panasonic and Kenwood head units in my old Nissan Exa and my wife has a Sony in her car. From my experience the Pioneer is the way to go. I got put off Kenwood because the detachable front face didn't fold down and had it repaired about three times before someone did me a favor and stole it from the car. I just find the pioneers look nice and have all the features I needed at the time. Admittedly it was hooked up to a Kicker amp and driving a pair of 6inch splits from Pioneer as well but it used to be nice and clean sound. The best thing about the Panasonic was it was double din with cassette tape and cd input with a volume control on both sides of the face plate so that it was easy to adjust from either front seat.

Sorry for rambling on a bit. I tend to do that first thing in the morning. :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I know that pioneer has a HU which you can change the lighting on to match the rest of the interior lighting :)

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
Don't ask me on this topic. I'm not a big ICE groupie. All that's important to me is that it has DAB and plays MP3/WMA CDs. I've got a Blaupunkt Woodstock DAB52 (now in the Hilux) and a JVC KB-DB711 in the S15.

Reaction score
Multi-changer compatibility

Ive got the kenwood found in loads of the S15's (the one Nicely has in the pics on his site) with the purple screen. Its not great but works so what the hell.

However I've got a multi-changed as found in the 14a and the loom with it plugs directly into the Kenwood as with the clarion in the 14 I had. However - it don't work :hurl: Does anyone know if theres a different pinout between the JAP and UK markets on the multichanger connection?

It would seem strange. Just thought I'd ask though. Probably the best thing I can do is get myself to the next SXOC meet near or in cambridge and check it still works in a 14!

Reaction score
Alpine! Ive got one for sale, and it doesnt look old fashioned! Its the Alpine Phantom CDA-7998r...
really hung over at the mo... in alot of pain...
Posted once already... so already had comments about the gear stick...

D

Derek

I'm picking up a Sony M9900 later, 2nd hand but i think i got it for good money. It'll do job alrite. Must just get a Facia adapter and Iso block conector. Was in no rush to get one cos the ssqv was enough sounds for me..

Reaction score
Website
www.coordsport.com
:D i forgot i'd wrote this :D

i sorted it and have an alpine on its way...it dont look old fashioned either :p

JP825

That sounds cool get some pictures up,
what make is it ?