What's new

help found my oil leak problem (hairline crack on engine block)

W

whyJDM

leaking a tea spoon of oil every few days or so. Car runs fine and compression test came up 145psi across all 4. What are my options to seal the crack?
Has this happened to anyone else?
the crack is on the front of the engine just below the head gasket.
s15 sr20det

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
never seen that before, but i'd clean it up and have an alloy welder try to weld it in situe if posible, shouldn't do any harm...

Reaction score
Website
www.bebo.com
Country
That has been running at a high temp for it to crack like that, remember they are aluminium blocks so cracks can happen I guess but as the guys have said liquid metal or weld it up :)

W

whyJDM

thanks guys. is liquid metal something i can do myself.
Is it apply then wait to cure type of thing.

drifter

Reaction score
Country
That's the idea mate, put it into Google and you will see what I mean. It normally comes as a 2 part that you mix, press it onto the clean surface and let it go hard :)

Those oil pump/chain covers are not very thick and can easily be damaged.

W

whyJDM

ok im going to drain the oil overnight then start the application, to make sure no oil leaks while the liquid metal sets.

G

GUEST_JDM

I had a crack on my block between the welsh plugs ending up having to replace the hole block in the end.... this has happened to few ppl i know and upon trying to find a new block found an interesting issue that there seems to be an issue with the jap spec r model blocks made in 99.... that they all seem to crack around the 100,000 km mark

Reaction score
Correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that the timing chain cover. I would just replace it if I was you and depending on how many miles on the engine would also look a a new timing chain,tensioner and front seal while it was off.

W

whyJDM

i found out its the oil pump. comes complete which covers the whole front of the engine $300aud part from nissan. jb weld worked well covered the crack no leaks now. will replace when it due for my major service, how long do the timing chains last for?

W

whyJDM

must of been damaged when it was replaced by last the major service (nissan). only way to do things properly is to do it your self.

drifter

Reaction score
Country
Timing chains just about last for ever, but in the UK they are on the 100k mile service. I've never bothered personally :)

The covers are very thin in places so it's easy to damage when they are removed etc :)

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
think it's only an inspection at 100k mate, personally i'll just check the chain and change the tensioner if i still have it then...

Reaction score
must of been damaged when it was replaced by last the major service (nissan). only way to do things properly is to do it your self.
Looking at the sealant around the timing case I would guess it was done by the apprentice