What's new

HKS EVC-S okay? something else better?

U

udi

Looking to get an electronic boost controller, and not sure what to go for.

I like the clean modern look of the EVC-S, does anyone have any experience with them - do they function okay / any problems?

I'm also wondering, is there any benefit to the higher $$ units (AVC-R, EVC-VI, etc) that let you map boost to rev ranges... or can the same effects be achieved with a tune later?

Also, with those controllers that map to revs / gears / etc... do they have extra components to work out those variables?

Appreciate any advice, total noob to this as you can probably tell :)

Reaction score
hi,

i have the evc-s! its a very new unit but since ive had it its been great! i tried a couple of 2nd hand profec b spec 2's but niether worked so i thought i would buy a new one! it works in exactly the same way as the profec.... it seems to be the same unit just in a different case!

i havent had a remap yet but just fiddling about with it, its great! and it looks awesome too :)

im affraid i havent had any experience with the more expensive units but many members on here have so im sure youll get an answer to the other questions youve asked :thumbs:

Last edited:
U

udi

Appreciate your response!
I am leaning towards the EVC-S anyway because I can afford one brand new, which saves me messing around with second hand stuff.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about installing it? Is it a fairly simple process?
I'm wondering how to get the wiring into the cabin, where it comes out, where to connect the power wires to, etc etc.

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
I'm not into all the bling bling lol so EVC was way over budget for my needs :)

I found the Australian made Gizzmo MS-IBC an awesome alternative and cheaper than Profec B. In the UK it retails around 200 GBP - really easy to install. It's a simple unit but does the job like any other electronic boost controller ;)

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Hey Lupix,

One of my mate has an early gizzmo and complains of boost spiking. Have you had any such trouble with yours?

Note: my mate can be a little harsh with things if they are not 100% correct. IMO I reckon that his works just fine, but he still bad mouths it. The fact that he hasn't changed it to something else must say that the spiking isn't that bad.

U

udi

I'm all for cheap bits but thought I'd splurge on japanese gear for electronics where I can afford it, and a new evcs off ebay isn't much more than 200gbp anyway.

C1TPT - if you're still reading, I'd like to hear your response to my post up there ^^ , it seems so few people own these things since they're a bit recent.http://forum.s15oc.com/member.php?1023-C1TPT

http://www.supraforums.com/forum/showthread.php?p=7199223
I found this thread which says the unit is good but cautions to check/change the stock settings for "overboost".. I'd like to hear your settings too I guess, because I don't have a boost gauge and would like to make sure I don't ruin my engine. :)

Thanks again in advance
udi

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Guys - I've found mine to be really good. Yes the original boost settings for DUTY CYCLE and GAIN were set when the weather was warmer and the Gizzmo stuck right to this limit.

However, since the weather has got much colder (denser air and all that), the boost now jumps a little over the 0.9 setting to about 1.0 bar if I really hit the pedal hard. But this is expected as boost controllers don't work to a pre-defined pressure setting and it's a bit unfair to blame the Gizzmo for this. Dependant on weather conditions I should take the time to alter the DUTY CYCLE and GAIN accordingly and the beauty of the MS-IBC is that it has 6 memory settings :)

Ok I'm not running my Silvia at 1.2 bar so cannot vouch for it's robustness at this end of the boosting spectrum but I do know that Driftworks sell this product as they have been using these controllers in their pro drift cars and I've not heard of any other UK user complain about them - to my knowledge...

Reaction score
im at work at the moment, but ill answer your questions later :thumbs:

i paid £189 for my evc-s brand new, however it was from america so the p&p was £24, still very cheap for a good, new ebc!

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
Also, with those controllers that map to revs / gears / etc... do they have extra components to work out those variables?
If you can afford to spend twice as much on the Evc6 then I would do it. I have one and its the best boost controller I have ever used, especially with the 'Easy Writer' add-on.

All the sensors (TPS, revs, speed etc..) can be spliced into your ECU, so even that is super simple to wire in.

Reaction score
Country
I had installed one (along with the matching turbo timer) on a friends S14 last weekend. The installation was simple (I've done a few) and setting it up was simple enough. We didn't get a chance to use it as his car is still under winter construction.

And if you guys want added info on it, I can't recall which month it was, but Drift Tengoku had a mini feature on it since it was a new product and they mentioned that it was simple to setup and use and that it holds boost quite well.

Reaction score
Appreciate your response!
I am leaning towards the EVC-S anyway because I can afford one brand new, which saves me messing around with second hand stuff.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you go about installing it? Is it a fairly simple process?
I'm wondering how to get the wiring into the cabin, where it comes out, where to connect the power wires to, etc etc.
Its very easy to install mate, the instructions are pretty good! :thumbs: I ran the wires from the boost solenoid round the back of the engine so you couldnt see them, then cable tied them to the wires coming from the boost sensor. Once they were together I ran them through the bulk head on the 0/S. It was a coat hanger through a ruber gaitor job.

This is a really good guide, I did it diferently but it doesnt matter where you run the wires....

http://www.jull.co.uk/index.php/s14-s15-tech-guides/fit-avcr.html

Regards the power wires, it depends when you want the controller to come on, I did mine on the ignition. any 12v wire that comes on with the ignition is ok, youll need a multi meter! if you have any more questions give me a shout!

LuPix_S15

Banned Toyota Lover
Reaction score
Website
www.lupix.co.uk
Country
Once they were together I ran them through the bulk head on the 0/S. It was a coat hanger through a ruber gaitor job.
Oh the joys of the coat hanger and black insulating tape lol...

I've never swore as much as when I'm trying to get the tape unwrapped and off the sensor wire harness cos when squeezed through the grommet, it becomes like a piece of solid plastic *arghh*!!!