What's new

How do you get a car on 4 axle stands?

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I want to redo the underseal on my car and generally tidy up the under side, how do i get the car onto 4 axle stands?

Putting it up onto two, say at the front, then lifting the rear until you can get axle stands under seems a bid dodgy, but is that how you do it?

Nicely

Moving on...
Founder of S15OC
Reaction score
Website
www.jull.net
Country
If you've got a proper racing style jack, its just a case of shoving it under the standard central jacking point at one end, lift, axle stands in place (not too high), drop. Then the other end. I'd start with the front first, as the front clearance will be crap with the back up in the air.

Once all four axle stands are in place, you can lift it more if necessary.

D

Derek

What i normally do and will be doing in few minutes.. Put the front on axle stands then lift the back off diff and put back on axle stands..

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
You posh b@stard!! :D

Cheers guys, i've got a jack but its a cheap one i had for my Pug, also to lift the front i need to take the bumper off :rolleyes:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
When i didn't have the superlow 2m long jack i had this procedure.

use jack in trunk and lift the car in one of the jackpoints on the front side.
Now a regular jack should be able to slip under the car.
Jacked the front up using the front jack pint (the big bar behind the sump).
Place two axle stands at the reinforced front side jackpoints.
slowly put the car down on the axle stands, making sure that they align with the reinforcements.

Jack the rear up on the diff
place axle stands on the rear side reinforced jackpoint.

Voil?! The car is flying :)

You might want to put a brick of wood between the jackpoints and axle stands.

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
My worry is that the jack has wheels and could move when lifting the rear, causing the front to fall........ am i just being a wimp? :)

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
My worry is that the jack has wheels and could move when lifting the rear, causing the front to fall........ am i just being a wimp? :)
You are just being a whimp :)
If you do it my way, the front is secured on the axle stands which doesn't move (hopefully).

The jack can move when you lift the car. If it wouldn't move it would pull the car towards itself or the jack would slip on the car which isn't very good as it might slip off the jacking point and damage something.

If say the front is on axle stands and you jack up the rear. you don't want the jack to pull the car backwards as the axle stands might tilt.
I think this is one of the reasons jacks have wheels :)

edit: this applies to a flat surface. If you wanna put your car on axle stands on a 45degree hill I don't want to be anywhere near :D

Reaction score
chock the wheels, get a friend, two jacks, jack each side up at the same time, put them on stands... do that two times, car is on stands :D

Topper

Flying Scotsman
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Chocks after the front is up sound like a good idea, will stop the car moving and make the jack move :thumbs:

Thanks guys