What's new

How to disable Airbag Lights

G

gunner93

I had my steering replaced and steering SRS airbag harness disconnected. Have mercy on me.

The airbag bulb behind the cluster is in-built and cannot be removed unless I break it big time.

Is there a way to disable the lights from blinking?

Reaction score
if you break the light be warned that there are other lights that wont work anymore. Did you replace the spiral cable resistor? If not they are available on ebay alternatively instead of breaking the bulb (led) use a piece of black insulation tape it will do the job just fine.

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
I think you can by some sort of electrical thingie to connect to the airbag sensor whic fools the car thinking that the airbag is still in place. Not sure they work on the S15, but on some other cars they do work.

M

Matt_S

If you measure the resistance of the airbag sensor and buy an equivalent one, that might work. Same as what the hub kits come with basically.

Reaction score
Did you replace with an aftermarket or an original setup? If aftermarket then there should be a by pass for the airbag. If original you will need to reset the airbag light via the houselight sequence. Leave driver door open, put key in ignition and switched to the ON position without starting, press the houselight door button 7-10 times and then remove the key and then close the door and start the car. The air bag light should be reset.

Also if you removed the wheel and in error spun the spiral cable unit and then replaced it can cause the spiral cable to snap and you will lose your horn and air bag functionality. When you're installing the new wheel I suggest you either tape the spiral cable unit stationary or failing that you will need to figure out the amount of revolutions from left to right and then divide it by two to find the center point where the wheel should then be mounted and install the wheel at that point ensuring that the front wheels are aligned properly. Hope it helps somewhat.

G

gunner93

Thanks for the useful replies. Unfortunately the bosskit hubs sold here dont come with the airbag light disable kit (not sure what its called).

TriniGT, certainly learnt something new here about the reset. :nod: Will try these out, else temporarily use Slammedmind method. Thanks again.

M

Matt_S

YOu should have bought a proper boss kit from RHD etc. Saves a LOT of aggro. If your horn doesnt work, you need a new sprial wire too probably. :wack:

Reaction score
Please also note that I took my broken spiral kit to the yard and good ole nissan used the same spiral unit on a N16 Nissan Almera. Not sure what that equates to over there. Everything was plug and play. Let me know how it goes.