What's new

is this release bearing fitted right? plese help !!

Reaction score
im changing the clutch on the s15 im at the release bearing for the 6 speedbox.

i knocked out the old release bearing without giving it much thought, then i put on the new one, where it sits now there is a shoulder but looking at it it looks like it needs to go back on the sleeve further.

its 30mm from the back of the release bearing to where the Fork sits, i believe this is called the Carrier Legnth?

the bearing itself is about 18mm thick

Reaction score
Country
ive never given that any thought and I have removed my gearbox and clutch 3 times, just put in on the sleeve and tap it so it sits tight once it cant go onto the sleeve anymore it will be in the correct place, take your old bearing and see if its the same thickness, and done.

Look in the S15 SM and im sure you will find diagrams showing this

Reaction score
cheers man just wanted to make sure on closer inspection now it dose not seem to be sitting flush on the sleeve at alll its about 30mm on one side and 29mm the other i know its only one mm but looking at it its really noticeable will it still be ok?

Reaction score
Country
nar you want it sitting properly, take it off clean all the contact surfaces then put it back on, it should sit flush unless the sleeve is damaged or you beat it on unevenly

Reaction score
Well IMHO it looks like to me that there was some dirt on it and i put in on unevenly :( and now im afraid to pull it off encase it Damaged the E50 Bearing :O. i took it to my engineering mate and he said oh ill just press it on and it should sit straight and be ok... so after a quick squeeze the Shoulder started to bend back :mad: so now im guessing its Defanatly Screwed and ill need a new Sleeve *FACEPALM

here you can see where the Shoulder is Damaged, i measured to see how ineven it is, here its measuring 59mm

and this side is 60.5mm :(

id say this is a fairly persise peice of kit so im guessing a new Relese bearing and Sleve E100+ :( o well ya got to learn somhow :(

unless people think this would still work?

Reaction score
Country
take the bearing off and then check everything over it might still be ok and just needs to be done correctly, as long as the bearing is still spinning freely without graunching and noise both will be OK

Reaction score
well i pulled it off the bearign is still 100% ok... but the Shoulder of the sleeve is damaged badly,

so ill be needing a new sleeve... anyone have the part number for it? or can confirm that the 5 and 6 speed sleeves are the same?

the only partnumber i can find is 30501-0h600... but that is for a s14 5 speed.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Lads im at my wits end here the car is on blocks the last 5 weeks now and no one can help me out with this Release sleeve issue!!

i ordered a new sleeve through a nissan dealer they seemed to know there stuff and i was assured it is the right one, i have him the 30501-h600 and he told me it was subseeded for 30501-k0404. he has it down on the receipt as a 6 speed release sleeve... but it looks nothing like the old sleeve.

can someone tell me if this is the right part or not before i take the car and make bits out of it!!! stressful times :/

part number 30501-k0404

Reaction score
Your old one is the same as mine but mine is 5 speed they must be all the same id say its its a updated part
im nearly sure justjap did all the work on that car seen you were asking on facebook

Reaction score
Country
im sure it will work, its machined a little different as companies make things like this to fit heaps of different models, the overall height is the same and where the lip stops, (going from the top down) is the same distance, and the diameter is the same, the location for the clip pin is the same, and the tabs are the same

this time dont give it too your mate, "who knows this kind of stuff"

the bearing should just slide over the sleeve into place, it will go on with an amount of resistance, as its machined with very low tolerance and may even require a few taps with a hammer, but if you have to do this, you can do this two ways, ideally you will have something which will push on the bearing without putting pressure on the ball bearings only the housing but if not put the bearing on a flat surface, clutch side down obviously, the tap the sleeve into it, with a hammer, ensuring you hit the sleeve evenly as in put something on top of the sleeve so that it goes straight down. Light taps only as you will be putting shock pressure against the bearings, non shock pressure is ok as thats what happens every time you put your foot on the clutch

if you have not already get the service manual and have a read up,

http://download.s15oc.com/s15_service_manual.zip

Reaction score
Your old one is the same as mine but mine is 5 speed they must be all the same id say its its a updated part
im nearly sure justjap did all the work on that car seen you were asking on facebook
well your a legand :) i got in touch with the just jap lads got talking to andrew apperently he removed the duel mass flywheel and fitted a 5speed flywheel and it needed a 5speed sleeve and release bearing to work ao seems after all this time i needed a 5speed release sleeve to compensate for the distance created by removal of the duel mass flywheel

Reaction score
im sure it will work, its machined a little different as companies make things like this to fit heaps of different models, the overall height is the same and where the lip stops, (going from the top down) is the same distance, and the diameter is the same, the location for the clip pin is the same, and the tabs are the same

this time dont give it too your mate, "who knows this kind of stuff"

the bearing should just slide over the sleeve into place, it will go on with an amount of resistance, as its machined with very low tolerance and may even require a few taps with a hammer, but if you have to do this, you can do this two ways, ideally you will have something which will push on the bearing without putting pressure on the ball bearings only the housing but if not put the bearing on a flat surface, clutch side down obviously, the tap the sleeve into it, with a hammer, ensuring you hit the sleeve evenly as in put something on top of the sleeve so that it goes straight down. Light taps only as you will be putting shock pressure against the bearings, non shock pressure is ok as thats what happens every time you put your foot on the clutch

if you have not already get the service manual and have a read up,

http://download.s15oc.com/s15_service_manual.zip
haha ya it turns out i need a 5speed one now as the duel mass flywheel was removed andits hard to see in the photo but there is a 10mm diffrence in the sleeves, thanks for all your help bro, if there is onething i learned in australia last year is that kiwi's are the soundest people on earth :D haha ill be sure not to let him near anything again lol

Last edited:
Reaction score
hes in australia now i was talking to him on face book he politly tiptoed around where it was bought when i asked him lol but id honestly say its one of those generic 6 paddles off ebay alright,
seemed alright of a clutch when it worked lol :)

well now i have a 6speed bearing worth €60 euro and a 6 speed release sleeve worthE 45 haha and i need to get the 5 speed items now i may be ok with the release bearing but dunno if a nissan dealer will take back the sleeve as i anoyed there head enough to make sure it was a 6 speed one lol

Reaction score
Country
are you still using the 6speed box???
if yes why would you need a different sleeve, is your flywheel from a S14 5MT or something? which would not work with the 6MT input shaft as its too short

I have a SMF (designed to work with the 6MT) and kept all the S15 parts that control the release and it works works fine, didn't have to change or adjust anything

http://www.exedy-racing.com/racing/en/pro/repair.html

have a scroll down on this, as it will cut through a lot of the BS you get told by nissan, as the S14 and S15 both uses a sleeve with a 24 - 26mm length so 2mm difference cant be that important, the difference is where it pivots from off the gearbox, that will determine the relative postion of the release forks movement. If you needed to change anything it would be a bearing that sits slightly further toward the clutch or something like that.

Its like this, put in in and if you clutch is not fully releasing with your foot on it then just adjust the piston length on your master cylinder to make the piston on the slave move a bit further, its a piece off piss to do takes 5min up under your dash.

If you dont have it done in a few days im going to come over there and slap you then put it in myself....................

Reaction score
just thought id Update everyone on this, as Spoonman just Explained, it turned out that i Had a s14 solid Flywheel, its nearly 2inches thinner than the duel mass fly that came out of the car, as the input shaft of the 6 speed Gearbox is shorter than the 5 speed one, the shaft is just resting on the Clutch its not reaching the spigot bush in the crank, and this is putting stress on the Gearbox and clutch and that's why the clutch **** its self.

I dont want to be in the same position in a few thousand k's again so im putting it right :D

so ATM my option is get a Solid flywheel for a s15 or just get a 5 speed gearbox :/ i should get a 5 speed box every fiber of my body is telling me to get the 5 speed box and be done but i want to keep the 6 speed box :D, i know the final gears on both boxes are not too far apart but as its my daily and not running mad power i think the 6 speed box is the right choice :D