What's new

Mega electrical problem! HELP!

Reaction score
Country
This came on all of a sudden out the blue, and may well be a result of normal wear and tear, or it might be an earth or relay or something, but if someone could point me to a rough location it'd help massively.

Basically my car seems to be lacking in electrical power for some reason. The battery has been tested and is fine.

When i turn the engine on, it starts fine, runs fine. However every electrical system in the car causes a drop in either voltage or current, causing dash lights to dim, stereo to reset, climate control to reset, windows to stop working, ABS light to light up, and airbag light to flash. The less electrical items turned on, the better it is. Also, the coolant temp gauge maxes out (the car isnt overheating though).

When i lift off the throttle or make a harsh change in acceleration/deceleration, all the needles blip down and up for that split second.

The side mirrors do NOT affect anything when folding them in or out, so my guess is theyre on a different circuit.

I've looked at the wiring diagrams, schematics, ground locations, etc on the service manual, and having no joy to find a starting point.

The headlights cause the problem to worsen, ie more components not working, and dimming bits/warning lights. BUT the headlights themselves do NOT dim down.

Also the wipers run a bit funky, sometimes doing a 'slow time' wipe which does more harm than good.

Any ideas for a starting point? like i said, i've tested the battery, and i'm convinced it has to be an earth or something, but ive visually checked all earths i can find and they all seem sound.. unless a cable somewhere has melted or something?

The thing i hate most is the temperature needle maxing out! makes me panic! help! (also just noticed today i think i can hear the walbro whine when the system isnt under a lot of electrical load, but when lights go on, the whine stops..

Any ideas? Cheers

DeanS15

My car is so clean you could eat off it.
Reaction score
Country
The wheel/tyre hasnt cut into the loom in the drivers arch has it? I know it sounds a bit too obvious but that's normally the cause of multiple electrical issues as you probably know mate...

meddler

It's not easy being a green text speak nazi
Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Maybe you should take the submarine to a marine workshop :p

I would be checking and cleaning any earth you find, specifically the one off the -ve of the battery. Is there any difference with the engine running or stopped?

Reaction score
Country
if you have done any wiring or has the previous owner changed anything with the wires i would check whats been done in case a wire has come loose and is only holding on by a thread or two. Get a multimeter and resistance test from the battery to different devices to check the earthing or first up check the level coming off the alternator

Reaction score
Country
no difference between engine on, or engine off.

i noticed my Gizzmo EBC is flashing up an error message, so i'm gonna disconnect that completely and see if thats causing it (which i doubt it is), and then i'l grab the multimeter and check the alternator voltage.

the battery terminals are clean as a whistle too. and ive visually checked every connection i can see and there appears to be nothing loose.

could it be the two coolant/temperature connectors on the inlet manifold? because when i took them off to remove the water a while back they were pretty grimy. only thing is i cant get to them without taking the plenum off :/

also, dean, nah that wiring loom is fine, its still tucked up out the way. got partial arch liners in still.

Reaction score
Country
just a thought have you got one of those earthing kits that come with a voltage regulator??? if yes then remove the voltage regulator

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
I had a similar problem in my first car years ago.. it turned out to be an earth that had snapped off but when turning around corners the force made the broken terminal contact again and everything worked for the duration of the corner.

Reaction score
Country
I dont have an aftermarket earthing kit..

Craig, this is getting even weirder now! Basically it WAS being really problematic for short journeys, but after about 100miles or so, it'd all of a sudden start working perfectly fine. and now, out of the blue, its working perfectly fine again :s

although my rear wiper was permanantly on. however i've disconnected that for the time being.
so there is a problem somewhere, but it seems to have fixed itself for the moment, making diagnosing it that little bit harder :(

according to a 14a owner, there is an earth by the wiper motor which could be the issue? as thats one of the main ones for the dash. i've not had chance to check yet, but cant recall there being an earth there? :s

Reaction score
Country
most of them will be well wrapped and tucked away out of sight, have you checked the ones behind the ecu by any chance? "Category D Write Off" did something get bent down there and not put straight on the inside causing something to rub and short?

Reaction score
Country
most of them will be well wrapped and tucked away out of sight, have you checked the ones behind the ecu by any chance? "Category D Write Off" did something get bent down there and not put straight on the inside causing something to rub and short?
I've checked the ones by the ECU (theres 2 i believe), and the crash was only front end cosmetic damage really, bar both rads.. fenders were untouched, so shouldnt have caused anything. Its still driving perfectly fine now (with rear wiper unplugged) i need to get the rear wiper connected to see if that triggers it again, then see what happens..

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
Maybe the rear wiper motor is shorted out and causing the issues.

Reaction score
Country
I FIXED IT!!!!! (i think/hope)

Well, after stripping the whole inside of my car out (carpets and all..) I thought about an earth point i removed when i first got the car in the engine bay.. so i decided to make a new chassis earth point, just for the craic. no real reason, and it appears to have fixed my bizarre problem. I'm not 100% sure yet as the problem was intermittent, and my rear wiper motor is still in pieces in my living room spreading grease everywhere.. but so far so good. Plus, its let me hear what the car sounds like stripped out. which is AWESOME. but probably too noisy for normal use..

So thanks to everyone who said check your earths, and sorry for not listening (or forgetting about that one)

Thanks guys, and meddler, i'l let you know if my rear wiper works again when i get a dry day to connect it up again!

meddler

Staff member
Reaction score
Country
no worries mate, as long as you have fixed it.

craig8585

I'm so cool, I have my own fan thread :p
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Country
When multiple systems fail and strange things happen then it's almost always an earth. Glad you've sorted it thoguh!