What's new

need advice. odd noise

P

Paddy

okay... last night was out cruising around. i gave it full throttle in second gear, at spike boost / full boost or 3250ish rpm it developed a loud screaching like sound. its the type of sound i would associate with a slipping belt. it is also similar to the induction note of my hks suction filter... except much higher pitched. its recreatable too, full throttle in second gear and i hear the noise

boost-wise i'm running stable at 0.8 bar, but i have seen spikes up to 1.1bar!

the boost gauge is reading as it normally does. i cant see any pipes off, eg the actuator, boost sensor, relief valve. i'm swithing back to the factory solenoid to see if its in the relief valve.

i suspect that it maybe the fmic piping with a pin hole leak, exhaust leak or could it be on the fresh air side of the turbo?? i would be very interested to know if anyone has had similar experiences, and what you think i should be lookin out for. Thanks.

Paddy

BTW what does WOT stand for :confused::confused::confused:

Yakozan

Sweedish Chef
🔥 Contributing Member 🔥
Reaction score
Website
www.s15oc.com
Country
Could be a small boost leak.
My buest guess of the location are the IC piping or the turbo to manifold gasket.

Could be something else though.

P

Paddy

okay...
factory solenoid on, boost is very low. only 0.6 bar and no spiking. fault is still appearant, except now at 6-7k rpm at WOT. seems to be boost leak so.
I guess the relief valve was covering a boost leak, because it used to be 0.75 bar on the solenoid and wmic ??? does that sound right??
Is there any handy way of checking for leaks? how do i pressurise the pipes while stationary?? should i just tighten everything up and cross my fingers?

being negative... which i'm very good at... anyone know if the sound could be the internals of the turbo?

P

Paddy

okay...
FMIC pipes all tightened up... no change. I've a sneaking suspicion that the factory dump valve is dying :(. Does anyone have any experience of one dying on them?
So, my next lil project is the pigeon mod :), see if it clears it up... i did a test run with a cork from a wine bottle and my thumb to block the pipe on the rockercover, sounds cool too.
just have to figure out what i might have lying around to block the pipes!

P

Paddy

the turbo to manifold gasket.
:thumbs: good call yakozan... thats where it was alright... it just died today, i must not have put the locking tab on correctly when doing the manifold, because one of the bolts dropped straight out:eek: there looks to be a lovely hole in the gasket now...

ah well... more fun for tomorrow :)

P

Paddy

afraid not... got it all back together... filler the radiator... started the engine.......

and i've a water leak! :cry::cry::cry::cry::cry:

the joys of removing the turbo! :annoyed:

ah well tomorrows another day, i'll just borrow a car outta work :)

P

Paddy

hey... we make a RWD sorento last week... :rotfl: but still no s15s

ah i'm sure i can find something nice in the second hand cars :rolleyes:

P

Paddy

yea it was rwd but u still cudn't drift it :p. how bout the 1.2 ecotec astra. sure its a gr8 car:rotfl:
it wouldn't drift, just spun the inside wheel for ages :nod:
and that astras about as fast a wind erosion :ghey:

hmmm. there might be a celica that i could 'borrow' :rotfl:

japmadlad

Reaction score
Country
aw wel at least its not a kia. got the email bren sent me. its pics of a type 2 fmic & doesn't show the stainless steel elephant trunk replacement pipe